PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember this? Text-based Flight Sim

panthercules
05-10-2004, 12:03 AM
The post below was originally posted at the tail-end of yet another "how do I turn off HUD log and screen text" thread and was sinking into the depths of the back pages unnoticed. I thought there might be at least one or two older IL-2 fans who still remember playing Mystery Mansion and might get a chuckle out of this while we wait for the patch.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Superluminal:
That topic just gave me an idé.How about a textbased flight sim?

Already been done - I still have fond memories of my experiences with the earliest text-based flight sim - a user mod of Mystery Mansion - I think I still have a transcript of one of my longer missions from this remarkable milestone of early computer programming - it went like this:

>N
You look North. You see clouds straight ahead of you.

>E
You look East. You see your starboard wing. You see holes appearing. You see fuel and flames streaming backward, along with small pieces of your plane. Your FM is correctly impacted by the damage to your control surfaces and the drag induced by the damage to your wing.

>S
You look South. You see a plane. It is graphically stunning - you can see the grin on the pilot's face. Its FM is historically accurate. The icon reads "enemy, .2km". You see twinkling lights from the wings. The muzzle flash is not overmodelled.

>Oh ****! Bail Out!
Sorry, do not understand command or wrong syntax.

END - You slump down. Everything turns red, then black. You are dead. All your Bases are belong to us!

Being so far ahead of its time, this user mod failed to attract much attention. The inability or refusal of the joystick makers to build text-generation capability into their gaming devices doomed the genre, and it faded into obscurity. It wasn't until the release of the original IL-2 that graphical-based flight sims began to surpass the experience offered by that original pioneering effort.

panthercules
05-10-2004, 12:03 AM
The post below was originally posted at the tail-end of yet another "how do I turn off HUD log and screen text" thread and was sinking into the depths of the back pages unnoticed. I thought there might be at least one or two older IL-2 fans who still remember playing Mystery Mansion and might get a chuckle out of this while we wait for the patch.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Superluminal:
That topic just gave me an idé.How about a textbased flight sim?

Already been done - I still have fond memories of my experiences with the earliest text-based flight sim - a user mod of Mystery Mansion - I think I still have a transcript of one of my longer missions from this remarkable milestone of early computer programming - it went like this:

>N
You look North. You see clouds straight ahead of you.

>E
You look East. You see your starboard wing. You see holes appearing. You see fuel and flames streaming backward, along with small pieces of your plane. Your FM is correctly impacted by the damage to your control surfaces and the drag induced by the damage to your wing.

>S
You look South. You see a plane. It is graphically stunning - you can see the grin on the pilot's face. Its FM is historically accurate. The icon reads "enemy, .2km". You see twinkling lights from the wings. The muzzle flash is not overmodelled.

>Oh ****! Bail Out!
Sorry, do not understand command or wrong syntax.

END - You slump down. Everything turns red, then black. You are dead. All your Bases are belong to us!

Being so far ahead of its time, this user mod failed to attract much attention. The inability or refusal of the joystick makers to build text-generation capability into their gaming devices doomed the genre, and it faded into obscurity. It wasn't until the release of the original IL-2 that graphical-based flight sims began to surpass the experience offered by that original pioneering effort.