PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Can you strafe or bomb a running torpedo? I set up a FMB to defend some German ships from an IL2 torpedo attack. I have not been able to do it, has anyone?
PS- I love this game.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Can you strafe or bomb a running torpedo? I set up a FMB to defend some German ships from an IL2 torpedo attack. I have not been able to do it, has anyone?
PS- I love this game.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the input!

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 09:43 PM
might that be sarcasm I detect?

never done it but might be feasible- I recall a thread in which the bombs carried on a bomber can be made to explode when hit. Is it possible to do so after the weapon is released? not sure...

BUT, imo, it wouldn't be especially realistic to be able to do so because torps (see SimHQs section on torping) are designed to run below the armour belt of ships at about 30 feet of depth (I recently read a book which detailed that an attack in a north african (brit swordfish vs Italian ships in port, iirc) succeeded because the anti-torp nets only extended to 23 feet of depth whereas the torps ran under that at 30 feet.

So.... I think your gun/cannon shots would not be able to affect (in real life) a torp running at depth. could it be done with a bomb irl? maybe... perhaps it happened but not with cannon or mg fire- of course, someone will probably be able to dig up references proving me wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cold_gambler

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 09:54 PM
There was a thread about this awhile ago.

As i recall, yes, you can destroy running torpedoes, but it takes large cannons because (apparently) normal machine guns lack the power to make their bullets still deadly after penetrating however many feet of water.

But, with a 20mm or bigger, i believe it is possible. It'll take lotsa ammo tho. And the naval gunners on the ships could probably shoot all the IL-2's down before they got closer than 50 km, anywho . . . . . they got sniper sights and computer controlled guns or something. They be deadly.