PDA

View Full Version : @Luthier: feature request

VF-2_John_Banks
04-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi Luthier,

i'd like to know if you are going to improve the blackout and redout effects in PF? What i had in mind is to simulate the pressure breathing under high G conditions, as well as the loss of the color vision just before a blackout? Flight Unlimited I is the only sim i know of, which simulates the black & white view, which is also caused by the lack of blood in your brain. Would be awesome so see that in PF. Btw, i hope we will get rid of the unrealistic redout when flying inverted or on the ground after a crash landing where your plane came to a rest upside down. I hardly doubt that you get a redout in an inverted position in RL after 20 seconds. Never got that during my sport lessons in school and -1G is -1G, sitting in a plane or doing some sport with your head down doesn't matter heh?

VF-2_John_Banks
04-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi Luthier,

i'd like to know if you are going to improve the blackout and redout effects in PF? What i had in mind is to simulate the pressure breathing under high G conditions, as well as the loss of the color vision just before a blackout? Flight Unlimited I is the only sim i know of, which simulates the black & white view, which is also caused by the lack of blood in your brain. Would be awesome so see that in PF. Btw, i hope we will get rid of the unrealistic redout when flying inverted or on the ground after a crash landing where your plane came to a rest upside down. I hardly doubt that you get a redout in an inverted position in RL after 20 seconds. Never got that during my sport lessons in school and -1G is -1G, sitting in a plane or doing some sport with your head down doesn't matter heh?

Snootles
04-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, would be nice. The one thing I never understood is why there was all that cross-hatching on the Il-2 blackout effect.

I've actually blacked out from G's once. No, I wasn't flying anything. It was on an old roller coaster- a sharp left turn after two loops in a row. It was a really weird effect where everything lost its color and then darkened with this black-purple hue. There was a suggestion of "TV snow" the whole time.

ImpStarDuece
04-22-2004, 10:59 PM
I've had "gray out" and red out when i got a (freee http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) flight in a trainer version of L-39 Albatross light attack jet. Pilot was an ex Roulettes veteran who had 14 years flying acrobatics. Put my stomach through a workout that day (my little bro managed to throw up though). We did a simulated low level (probably 200m) attack around the reserve outside Bankstown airport (in Sydney for all you non Aussies out there).
Was pretty surreal as there were bushfires all over the place and we flew through some pretty big plumes of smoke. Did all kindsa of crazy loops and rolls then he handed off to me and i got to pull an immelman and a vertical S as well as a few barrels. Great stuff. Close as i'll ever get to the real thing. Still gives me a rush thinking about it.

Pulling 4g's is hard work though. vision greyed out at 4-4.5 g's and started to black out at about 4.5. Didn't quite black out but i can see why g-suits are so useful. A more sophisticated g-force effects model would be nice, as grey out would really start to show just how hard you were pushing.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"

matkal80
04-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Yeah thats too, and i want to have dead scene improved as well.
I dont want to see just a black scren, i want to see a tunnel with God and the end waiting for me with his arm opened, saying: thats not my foult, you shouldnt have ****ed up with a zero.

Yeah thats what i want

LEXX_Luthor
04-23-2004, 06:51 AM
DOS Flaker 1.0 had the best visual effex. Very smooth over the whole screen. It looked better then "realistic" FB snow The important thing is that you can't see anymore and FB "realistic" snow has no effect on gameplay (game what?) Never mind. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The FB tunnel vision for greyout works great though. Well done.

Screen moothly turned to darker shades of grey, then black. For redout (and missile hits) the screen would have smooth changes to shades of red.

VF-2_John_Banks
04-24-2004, 10:52 AM
bump

BSS_Vidar
04-25-2004, 02:14 PM
7.2 G's in a F/A-18D Hornet at 300 ft and 500 kts in a 30 degree off-set pop up manuever at Pinecastle Bombing range near Ocala Florida.

This is what I saw and heard:

1. Pilot called "Popping."
2. Periphrial vision got snowy just like bad reception on TV.
3. Vision turns to Black and White.
4. Tunnel Vision essued, first gradually then very abruptly to a white peep whole about the size of a dime.
5. Complete Blackout, but not out cold. Couldn't see, but was fully aware of my surroundings by the pilots voice.
6. G's unloaded after the bomb run, and I regained vision almost immediately.

Ah, I miss the Navy and the great flying. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

The next few runs I didn't black out because I used the "hut technique" to keep the blood in my head.
Keep in mind, everyone handles excessive G's differently. Women endure them better than men because all the blood is down low around the hips where men hold most fluids around the chest cavity. Physical fitness takes a big part as well.

~S~
BSS_Vidar

RichardI
04-26-2004, 11:02 AM
As I understand it PF will use the exact same game engine as FB. Except for plane set, tail hooks, carriers, and maps it will be identical. Isn't that true? That means no change in this area doesn't it?

Rich http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Fennec_P
04-26-2004, 11:26 AM
I want hallucinations while I'm blacked out (preferably something sexy) and a crippling disorientation when I wake up (maybe acccomplished by playing clips from Gundam Wing).

http://members.shaw.ca/fennec/urban.jpg

VF-2_John_Banks
04-26-2004, 11:31 AM
I hope not. Why should the progress stop where the plane list ends? I wouldn't expect better effects in the first release but maybe in one of the patches? I am not programmer but i'd think that changing effects like the blackout/redout ie easier to accomplish, than FM/DM changes we can see in each single patch so far. Although important bugs and show stoppers should always have the priority and i bet there will be quite some things that need some fixing, once PF has been released.