PDA

View Full Version : Will this be the year that makes or breaks Ubisoft?

locketcoket
03-09-2015, 02:52 AM
I've come to the conclusion after some thinking that if assassins creed Victory isn't good that im stopping buying assassins creed games and I'm definitely not pre ordering. Though Unity wasn't too bad over all I hated the ending and finished the game feeling disappointed and I feel like most others feel the same way.

JustPlainQuirky
03-09-2015, 02:55 AM
For a lot of people Unity was already the breaking point.

what Victory is: is the attempt of redemption

and the only way they can pull that off is if they:

>do NOT overhype whatsover. Otherwise that just guarantees bad reception. Less talk and more gameplay showcasing. And keep it at a minimum like a rare treat.
>have game released without need of patches. Seriously, delaying a game actually impresses consumers and lets them know devs care about the product they're delivering
>drop all anti consumer practices and common online hindrances
>go out of their way to make the gameplay not feel same-y and make it feel innovative like black flag
>have outstanding presentation/story to coincide with the innovative gameplay

the 'casual' fanbase is in an age of questioning developer credibility and ubi has to play all the right cards if they want to be back on their feet again

Namikaze_17
03-09-2015, 03:12 AM
I believe they'll be fine this year...

After this fiasco with Unity, I'm sure they learned their lesson about certain things.

It's basically a cycle at this point...

AC1-Meh
AC2- Good
AC3-Meh
AC4- Good
ACU- Meh
ACV- ????

Xstantin
03-09-2015, 03:39 AM

Which is sad really :nonchalance:
I'd buy Victory but I won't go out of my way with apps and Initiates if it's there.
Still I kinda expect downgrade outrage crowd to shift their attention towards the Division for some time though tbh.

HiddenKiller612
03-09-2015, 03:51 AM
You'll never please everyone... Victory could be great across the board and you'll still have 15 "DIS GAEM SUUUCKS, I WAANT MAI MONIES BACK" threads.

Namikaze_17
03-09-2015, 04:08 AM
You'll never please everyone... Victory could be great across the board and you'll still have 15 "DIS GAEM SUUUCKS, I WAANT MAI MONIES BACK" threads.

Was AC4?

I wasn't here to know... :/

But it is true sadly.

JustPlainQuirky
03-09-2015, 04:11 AM
ACIV was received relatively really well by most people

I wasnt around at the time but i see so many people praise it in articles, reviews, comments, etc

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-09-2015, 04:19 AM
I will only assume that Victory will be a "redemption" game so the series can get back on track before its too late.

But if there is another Ezio cloned protaganist or a stereotypical one, I S2G I'll leave the series for good.

HiddenKiller612
03-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Was AC4?

I wasn't here to know... :/

But it is true sadly.
You mean, Pirates Creed? Yea, however good the game was it got about 15 hate threads before it even released...

Namikaze_17
03-09-2015, 04:49 AM
You mean, Pirates Creed? Yea, however good the game was it got about 15 hate threads before it even released...

Like how Victory has subtly gotten hate before we know anything. :rolleyes:

But 15?! Damn.

EDIT: But after this, I suggest a year off.

If Victory is a success, I say leave on a good note and plan your direction and things.

Then the next game whether in Asia or somewhere else can be good too.

HiddenKiller612
03-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Like how Victory has subtly gotten hate before we know anything. :rolleyes:

But 15?! Damn.
I could be over exaggerating, but it seemed each time I visited the forums, a new thread would pop up. People don't like change, people don't like things staying the same. They hype a game up to extreme proportions in their heads and when that game fails to deliver... they come here to ***** and moan about it. Keep your hype low, wait til the game comes out... play the game, and if it's great... great... if its not so great, you learn from it. Just as I think with the dip in Ubi's stock, they probably got a good kick in the jewels.... hopefully it was enough of a wake up call to say hey boss man, maybe we should think about those people who purchase our game, eh?

Namikaze_17
03-09-2015, 05:02 AM
I could be over exaggerating, but it seemed each time I visited the forums, a new thread would pop up. People don't like change, people don't like things staying the same. They hype a game up to extreme proportions in their heads and when that game fails to deliver... they come here to ***** and moan about it. Keep your hype low, wait til the game comes out... play the game, and if it's great... great... if its not so great, you learn from it. Just as I think with the dip in Ubi's stock, they probably got a good kick in the jewels.... hopefully it was enough of a wake up call to say hey boss man, maybe we should think about those people who purchase our game, eh?

Good points indeed.

Hopefully this is a good wake up call and Victory can be a success.

But after this, a good break from everyone would really be appreciated.

HiddenKiller612
03-09-2015, 05:08 AM
Good points indeed.

Hopefully this is a good wake up call and Victory can be a success.

But after this, a good break from everyone would really be appreciated.

A corporation doesn't stop the supply when the demand is high. Millions buy the games each year, and millions will buy Victory, and the next game, and probably the next game. Once demand for the series dips so low it no longer becomes profitable to release each year, perhaps then they will take a break... As it stands now, I don't see the yearly release cycle stopping any time soon.

When I mean learn, I mean they probably are gonna be a bit more thorough when it comes to game bugs, as well as probably dropping companion app crapola, and initiates blocking off in-game items... probably go over the story a bit... if we're lucky.

Namikaze_17
03-09-2015, 05:28 AM
A corporation doesn't stop the supply when the demand is high. Millions buy the games each year, and millions will buy Victory, and the next game, and probably the next game. Once demand for the series dips so low it no longer becomes profitable to release each year, perhaps then they will take a break... As it stands now, I don't see the yearly release cycle stopping any time soon.

When I mean learn, I mean they probably are gonna be a bit more thorough when it comes to game bugs, as well as probably dropping companion app crapola, and initiates blocking off in-game items... probably go over the story a bit... if we're lucky.

Yeah, I realize that.

Just saying a year off could do wonders for everyone and the franchise as a whole.

But since demand is high as you say, it won't happen unfortunately. :/

king-hailz
03-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Even if Victory is amazing it won't make ubisoft! It will be like black flag... It didn't make up for AC3 for people but it actually gave them hope that they could be better in the future... which they weren't. Ubisoft is never ever going to be consistently good with this franchise!

Mr.Black24
03-09-2015, 08:26 AM

After this fiasco with Unity, I'm sure they learned their lesson about certain things.

AC1-Meh
AC2- Good
AC3-Meh
AC4- Good
ACU- Meh
ACV- ????
The thing is, it shouldn't be that way, ever. At least like this: Good, Awesome, Good, Good, Awesome!
I mean come one, why have a cycle like that? Looking at it made me feel all depressed. If there is no positive consistency, than why bother playing the game if you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. I just want all the story to lead to somewhere worthwhile. Its bad enough that we have so much unresolved stories like our Colonial protagonists, and consider it done for illegitimate reasons, but lacking in overall universe lore too? Ugh.....

SixKeys
03-09-2015, 08:44 AM
The thing is, it shouldn't be that way, ever. At least like this: Good, Awesome, Good, Good, Awesome!

I doubt that's even possible with a yearly release cycle.

Fatal-Feit
03-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Most people always say they're done with the franchise because of a disappointing game, but they always come back.

SofaJockey
03-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Unity neither made nor broke the series.

Whining on forums matters nothing, I regularly see hate and whining on forums for the Witcher, Dragon Age and Tomb Raider, all string franchises.

Where it made a difference is that the buggyness broke through from forums to mainstream media and that's when it hurts, particularly after Watch Dogs. Incidentally, I enjoyed Watch Dogs and Unity, though I can to Unity after patch 5 so missed most of the issues.

On balance Unity can make the franchise more than break it as lessons may be learned.

I'd like Victory to be terrific, as It's set in my home town, which makes any game a bit special.

m4r-k7
03-09-2015, 04:17 PM
This sounds bad but I think Unity had to happen to progress the franchise.

For example, it laid down the roots again for what Ubisoft want to achieve with AC - whilst this wasn't done very well, atleast the direction is kinda back on track.

Furthermore, Unity showed how damaging one game can be to the brand if it is not bug-tested / released in an acceptable manner.

So whilst AC Unity is one of my least favourite AC games, I believe it was one of those things that had to happen if we are to see any advancement in the AC formula.

I think Victory will be good, I don't think it will be amazing like AC 2 and AC 4 but it will definitely be better than Unity IMO.

Shahkulu101
03-09-2015, 04:50 PM
This sounds bad but I think Unity had to happen to progress the franchise.

For example, it laid down the roots again for what Ubisoft want to achieve with AC - whilst this wasn't done very well, atleast the direction is kinda back on track.

Furthermore, Unity showed how damaging one game can be to the brand if it is not bug-tested / released in an acceptable manner.

So whilst AC Unity is one of my least favourite AC games, I believe it was one of those things that had to happen if we are to see any advancement in the AC formula.

I think Victory will be good, I don't think it will be amazing like AC 2 and AC 4 but it will definitely be better than Unity IMO.

Agreed, they went back to the drawing board and Unity was a rough first draft.

Victory will be the final picture (Unity 2.5) and then they'll either ride on Unity's back for one more title or start back from square one.

m4r-k7
03-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Agreed, they went back to the drawing board and Unity was a rough first draft.

Victory will be the final picture (Unity 2.5) and then they'll either ride on Unity's back for one more title or start back from square one.

Yup, exactly my thoughts.

Von_Till
03-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Here here.

Majority of gamers are hardly ever content.

And I vote. Make.

Sorrosyss
03-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I'd vote neither, just to be awkward. I think Victory is kinda irrelevant, as the 2016 title has to release near the time of the AC movie. Regardless of the reality, it will be viewed as a movie tie-in, and any new fans coming from the film will measure the IP by that game. Messing up that launch literally is the make or break point for me, not Victory.

Xangr8
03-09-2015, 11:07 PM
I'm still betting on you, Ubisoft ;)

Altair1789
03-09-2015, 11:11 PM
It'll definitely do one or the other for me, but it could go both ways

EmptyCrustacean
03-10-2015, 12:59 AM
Most people always say they're done with the franchise because of a disappointing game, but they always come back.

It takes several bad/mediocre games in a row to turn people off for good. Ubisoft can survive one or two more hits but after that they're on very thin ice with their AC franchise.

Xstantin
03-10-2015, 01:42 AM
It takes several bad/mediocre games in a row to turn people off for good. Ubisoft can survive one or two more hits but after that they're on very thin ice with their AC franchise.

AC Japan Super Awesome Ninja announced, 10/10, will buy again, everything is forgiven

Namikaze_17
03-10-2015, 04:37 AM
AC Japan Super Awesome Ninja announced, 10/10, will buy again, everything is forgiven

"Man, **** you Ubi! This game has no ninjas! I'm quitting the series!"

"WHY UBI!? THIS ISN'T THE GAME I EXPECTED!"

Sushiglutton
03-10-2015, 05:49 PM
People ask that every year :)! Thing is though that the core concept of letting players exploring open, historical worlds, is so damn strong. And there's no real competition. So AC will keep going for a few more years no matter the quality of the content/mechanics. Just don't tell Ubi that (unfortunately they allready know)!

pacmanate
03-10-2015, 05:56 PM
For me, yeah.

I'm in the same boat as I was after AC3. Hated that game. if AC4 wasn't good I would quit the series.

AC4 was good, I was back. Then Unity came along and was like another AC3, I lost hope.

Victory is what AC4 was for me for AC3, if Victory sucks, I'm done.

JustPlainQuirky
03-10-2015, 06:00 PM
For me, yeah.

I'm in the same boat as I was after AC3. Hated that game. if AC4 wasn't good I would quit the series.

AC4 was good, I was back. Then Unity came along and was like another AC3, I lost hope.

Victory is what AC4 was for me for AC3, if Victory sucks, I'm done.

like a battered wife, always coming back when the big guy plays nice

Sushiglutton
03-10-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna do a simple test for Victory. If the map looks as spammy and tedious as this, it's a no go:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/acunity_sidemissions.png

JustPlainQuirky
03-10-2015, 06:07 PM
^the best part is a good chunk of the cockades and chests dont show up in the map at all

even moar cluttered contextless spam, yaaaaay

Sushiglutton
03-10-2015, 06:09 PM
^the best part is a good chunk of the cockades and chests dont show up in the map at all

even moar cluttered contextless spam, yaaaaay

But

"It's a massive world with tons of stuff to do! Such great value!"

:mad:

Shahkulu101
03-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm gonna do a simple test for Victory. If the map looks as spammy and tedious as this, it's a no go:

God, this.

All that does is overwhelm me and make selecting what to do a nightmare, which in turn puts me off side-quests altogether. One of my biggest problems with the serious was the increasing focus on superfluous content. ACIV seemed to rectify that (in terms of the side-missions -- it was still collectibles galore) but Unity has so much unnecessary filler.

JustPlainQuirky
03-10-2015, 06:19 PM
But

"It's a massive world with tons of stuff to do! Such great value!"

oh boy i cant wait to run to point B and collect object #3924802348023932

oh boy i cant wait to run to point C and collect chest #238947923874932749238794827

so much FUN™

*grits teeth*

Mr_Shade
03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
oh boy i cant wait to run to point B and collect object #3924802348023932

oh boy i cant wait to run to point C and collect chest #238947923874932749238794827

At least it will keep you busy ;)

JustPlainQuirky
03-10-2015, 06:26 PM
At least it will keep you busy ;)

so does bashing your head against a wall over and over

doesnt make it fun

Namikaze_17
03-10-2015, 06:27 PM

The overwhelmed level exceeds 9000 with this map. :/

m4r-k7
03-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't think the qestion should be "will this be the year that makes or breaks Ubisoft" but it should be "will this be the year that makes or breaks Assassins Creed"

However bad Victory is, it won't break Ubisoft as they have tons of other succesful franchises that have different development teams and engines that are used on their other games.
If Victory is bad, the AC franchise will deeply suffer and the fan base will dramatically decrease but I don't think it would break Ubisoft.
Ubisoft whilst terrible at PR, are masters of advertising and hyping games (however horrible it is to say - people keep on coming back year after year for their games despite their unpopularity)

So nah it needs more franchises to fail in order to "break" Ubisoft.
Ubisoft have to make Victory work as if it doesn't then the AC franchise will be nearer its death bed.

EmptyCrustacean
03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
The overwhelmed level exceeds 9000 with this map. :/

What a bloody mess.
I can't believe I collected all of that! Ubisoft need to learn that quantity doesn't equal quality and stop with the copy and paste jobs.

EmptyCrustacean
03-10-2015, 06:42 PM
People ask that every year :)! Thing is though that the core concept of letting players exploring open, historical worlds, is so damn strong. And there's no real competition. So AC will keep going for a few more years no matter the quality of the content/mechanics. Just don't tell Ubi that (unfortunately they allready know)!

I disagree. That novelty wears off if the world building isn't strong, the gameplay weak and the mechanics lacklustre. Unity is the first AC game where it's period setting didn't even matter which is worrying seeing as that's one of the biggest selling points of the franchise. I'm sure TreyArch and Activision thought the same thing with COD but people are wising up. I have still yet to purchase Ghosts and Advanced Warfare.

Sushiglutton
03-10-2015, 06:47 PM
I disagree. That novelty wears off if the world building isn't strong, the gameplay weak and the mechanics lacklustre. Unity is the first AC game where it's period setting didn't even matter which is worrying seeing as that's one of the biggest selling points of the franchise. I'm sure TreyArch and Activision thought the same thing with COD but people are wising up. I have still yet to purchase Ghosts and Advanced Warfare.

The world building is super important as that is core to the "tourism" experience. And I think Ubi for the most part excels in this area. Given how much AC has sold over the years it's hard to think gameplay matters that much though.

People will come and go (I never bought Rogue/Unity), but I think both AC and COD will do well for the foreseeable future. Ubi also have a few cards to play if sales decline too much, like for example taking a year or two off.

Namikaze_17
03-10-2015, 06:51 PM
I don't think the qestion should be "will this be the year that makes or breaks Ubisoft" but it should be "will this be the year that makes or breaks Assassins Creed"

However bad Victory is, it won't break Ubisoft as they have tons of other succesful franchises that have different development teams and engines that are used on their other games.
If Victory is bad, the AC franchise will deeply suffer and the fan base will dramatically decrease but I don't think it would break Ubisoft.
Ubisoft whilst terrible at PR, are masters of advertising and hyping games (however horrible it is to say - people keep on coming back year after year for their games despite their unpopularity)

So nah it needs more franchises to fail in order to "break" Ubisoft.
Ubisoft have to make Victory work as if it doesn't then the AC franchise will be nearer its death bed.

So...the pressure is on then.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/172/1728691/2580709-9597024297-2cdd3.jpg

m4r-k7
03-10-2015, 06:52 PM
So...the pressure is on then.

Yup the pressure is on but even if it sucks there are still tons of people (including myself! ;)) who will keep on buying the games until the franchise is dead so whilst the pressure is on, the series will still keep on going until there are like 5 consecutive bad games xD

Shahkulu101
03-10-2015, 06:55 PM
The world building is super important as that is core to the "tourism" experience. And I think Ubi for the most part excels in this area. Given how much AC has sold over the years it's hard to think gameplay matters that much though.

People will come and go (I never bought Rogue/Unity), but I think both AC and COD will do well for the foreseeable future. Ubi also have a few cards to play if sales decline too much, like for example taking a year or two off.

You didn't play Unity?

But you made a thread saying it had the best assassination mission and boss fight. :confused:

Sushiglutton
03-10-2015, 07:00 PM
You didn't play Unity?

But you made a thread saying it had the best assassination mission and boss fight. :confused:

And then I ran away to hide :o!

I watched it on YT, so I thought I knew enough. I also felt like there was a tad bit too much negativity at the time, so I felt like saying something positive. I should have stated more clearly I hadn't played it though, bad by me! Sorry!

Shahkulu101
03-10-2015, 07:08 PM
And then I ran away to hide :o!

I watched it on YT, so I thought I knew enough. I also felt like there was a tad bit too much negativity at the time, so I felt like saying something positive. I should have stated more clearly I hadn't played it though, bad by me! Sorry!

Tut, tut Sushi. You really need to play things before giving your opinion on gameplay. :p

You were right though, the Pierre boss fight is the only challenging one in the series and I'd say the Sivert one is the best assassination in the series.

Namikaze_17
03-10-2015, 07:08 PM
^ I feel ya Sushi, I haven't played either. :rolleyes:

IN THIS FORUM THERE'S NO ROOM FOR BROKEN MEMBERS LIKE US!

Sushiglutton
03-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Tut, tut Sushi. You really need to play things before giving your opinion on gameplay. :p

You were right though, the Pierre boss fight is the only challenging one in the series and I'd say the Sivert one is the best assassination in the series.

Haha, how was I gonna know your memory was this sharp and it would come back and bite me like four months later ;)! Anyway it seems like my guess was ok, so I kind of dodged a bullet (please say yes!)?

I will be more careful in the future :o!

^ I feel ya Sushi, I haven't played either. :rolleyes:

On the contrary! We are the only ones with enough self esteem to say no to the games when Ubi #%#%- them up ;)!

Xstantin
03-10-2015, 07:31 PM
^I haven't played Rogue cause I watched the walkthrough while playing ACU and I thought Rogue's voice acting and dialogue were awful (IMO worse than Unity and it had a lot of "bashing is the only thing I got") :nonchalance: you guys are not the only ones :)

Hans684
03-10-2015, 08:17 PM

There's always room.

Namikaze_17
03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
On the contrary! We are the only ones with enough self esteem to say no to the games when Ubi #%#%- them up ;)!

http://media.giphy.com/media/yaOi8VyDjx7j2/giphy.gif

There's always room.

It's a reference to Daniel Cross' quote in Rogue. :p

LoyalACFan
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
They just really, REALLY need to start taking a year off in between games. I've been defending the yearly release cycle with the same tired "but they use different studios!" line for quite a while, but it's really not acceptable anymore. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it's becoming a predictable cycle now. They hype their game like crazy, it turns out to be sloppy and unfinished, then next year they beg and plead to get the fans back on board and use that framework to deliver a game that represents the undelivered quality of the one they released a year ago. I have no doubt that Victory will be great, but I guarantee it will once again feel like "the game the last one was supposed to be." JUST like AC4 and AC2. Not that AC1, AC3, or ACU were bad, just really flubbed versions of what they could have been.

Altair1789
03-11-2015, 12:57 AM
They just really, REALLY need to start taking a year off in between games. I've been defending the yearly release cycle with the same tired "but they use different studios!" line for quite a while, but it's really not acceptable anymore. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it's becoming a predictable cycle now. They hype their game like crazy, it turns out to be sloppy and unfinished, then next year they beg and plead to get the fans back on board and use that framework to deliver a game that represents the undelivered quality of the one they released a year ago. I have no doubt that Victory will be great, but I guarantee it will once again feel like "the game the last one was supposed to be." JUST like AC4 and AC2. Not that AC1, AC3, or ACU were bad, just really flubbed versions of what they could have been.

Yea, the "different studios" line doesn't work. However, I don't think they should take a year off in between games. The problem is the limit. Too many times it feels like they could've done something amazing or interesting but didn't want to because it would take too much time. They need to just take as long as they need for the game to be overfinished, like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Those games are so well made, and it payed off.

LoyalACFan
03-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Yea, the "different studios" line doesn't work. However, I don't think they should take a year off in between games. The problem is the limit. Too many times it feels like they could've done something amazing or interesting but didn't want to because it would take too much time. They need to just take as long as they need for the game to be overfinished, like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Those games are so well made, and it payed off.

I phrased that poorly; by "taking a year off" I just mean not releasing a game that year. They would still be in active development on the next one, they would just have twice the time to accomplish it.

Although at this point I'm beginning to wonder if they need to just temporarily halt the release cycle altogether, and use the next two to five years to make a game that can hit the reset button on the franchise, so to speak. Not by overwriting any established lore, but by finally innovating the series enough to address the issues that have hounded it for eight years now. Seriously, the core mechanics need to be fixed. They keep getting incrementally better, but in general, they still lag behind nearly every other AAA game on the market.

BananaBlighter
03-12-2015, 07:43 PM

AC1-Meh
AC2- Good
AC3-Meh
AC4- Good
ACU- Meh
ACV- ????

Yep, totally agree with you there, it's an obvious pattern. Ubisoft are good at learning from their mistakes (already removed companion app/initiates, made DLC free, 5 patches later I don't experience bugs except crowd pop-ins anymore) and the second game on a new engine has always been the better one. I've got really high hopes for Victory and I want to see a lot of intuitive gameplay changes, especially to the combat (no, I'm not saying make it easier, it's good that it's hard). Oh yeah and if there's no Thomas the Tank Engine easter egg...:mad: