PDA

View Full Version : What did I say?

Assassin_M
02-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Yeah yeah, I know i don't usually do this kind of shtick but saying Ezio sucks just doesn't cut it anymore.

http://i.gyazo.com/9559cf23504d9d1875f65e3df55b624e.png

You shall all call me Mo, savior of the masses. I don't need no polls.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm extremely satisfied at this decision. This transmedia limitation ruined a good 50% of my player experience. (bogus estimate but dont care, lmfao)

Now that's gone, only thing that really is a bother to me is the story direction, but that's entirely dependent on individual writers and not programmers. (also have issues with sync points and microtransactions but not at same degree)

So I will be playing Unity later tonight.

Very pleased.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Did I miss something?

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Did I miss something?

companion app and initiates content unlocked 100% in unity including altair outfit and artifacts

Assassin_M
02-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Did I miss something?
Patch 5 removes companion app restrictions. All blue chests can be opened now.

aL_____eX
02-18-2015, 07:58 PM
SixKeys, Patch 5 was released today for consoles (for PC tomorrow) and they unlocked all the Companion App and Initiates contents.

Fatal-Feit
Senpai for Ubi Forum President.

+1

ACfan443
You've got to be kidding me, I worked my backside off grinding that app to unlock Altair's outfit. Those are three months of my life I'll never get back.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Halle-****ing-lujah!!!

What does this mean for those who paid for the companion app, I wonder?

Namikaze_17
02-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Is this planned? :rolleyes:

I have no idea what's going on?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind.

ze_topazio
02-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Blessed be our prophet and savior Assassin_M the wise.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 08:00 PM
I honestly can't express how happy I am about this.

Thank you to the ComDevs who recorded the complaints and the Devs who took the time to rectify this situation.

Mr_Shade
02-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Sorry to say, we can't please everyone :(

Glad most are happy about this though - since we know it was a major frustration for many.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Honestly I spent a good 3 months on the companion app suffering and worked to unlock a good chunk of content but I'm still glad this decision was made.

Hope others who endured the tedious time-consuming nature of the app agree.

Mr_Shade
Halle-****ing-lujah!!!

You didn't need to pay to unlock items?

The paid app was for bonus content in the app etc.

SixKeys

Glad most are happy about this though - since we know it was a major frustration for many.

Will the people who paid for the companion app get their money back?

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 08:04 PM
I don't see the need for them to get their money back.

Paying just got additional slots which sped up the process of completing the missions. And technically it still accomplishes just that.

Then again the jerk side of me thinks those who actually paid for the app should sit down and think about their life decisions.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 08:06 PM
^ It was either half a sandwich or less headache for the next month. Give me a break.

ze_topazio
02-18-2015, 08:08 PM
I had to buy a 700€ smartphone to use the app, I want my money back.

JustPlainQuirky
^ It was either half a sandwich or less headache for the next month. Give me a break.

I'm not even going to pretend to understand that analogy

Im going to assume it has to do with my comment on people paying for the app.

I don't think people should spend money on non-cosmetic microtransactions and those who do are a bad influence on the consumer market

but that's off topic. its time for a celebration

*throws confetti*

aL_____eX
Agreed. I bought the Premium version myself, still I think it might've been better not to support this punch in customer's faces.

@quirky: What Fatal means is you had the choice to make your life with the app easier for 1 or 2 bucks only.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 08:11 PM
still I think it might've been better not to support this punch in customer's faces.

This is why I show no sympathy towards those who purchase non-cosmetic microtransactions

@Al____ex

figured.

I still think paying for game progress is anti-consumer and paying for it endorses bad business practices so yeah.

that's just me tho.

Annastasya1978
02-18-2015, 08:14 PM

It was one of the most heavily criticized aspects of Unity. Frankly, the app stopped me from even bothering to go for the collectibles, something that I have done in every AC game. So yes, thank you for listening to the overwhelming feedback that we do not want apps linked to our franchise content. This really is the best move Ubisoft could make toward the fan base, and I for one am very happy that I can at last play my game properly. :)

For the record I love the stats system of Initiates though. Keep that. Just don't park in game content behind it.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 08:15 PM
It's how you survive in the MMO world. Anyway, I'm very glad to hear this. VERY GLAD.

Dead Kings, ULCs, and now Initiates and Companion App. I think it's time I say thank you, Ubisoft.

SpiritOfNevaeh
This is why I don't buy games at launch and wait a while so it can "improve".

Looking forward to getting the game now :p

Perk89
I already deleted a save and am going to start a new playthrough later. Don't know if I'll finish, there are still a plethora of other issues and I've got an itch for some other games that need scratching, but this certainly is the first time I've had an interest in Unity in a while.

Btw, this wasn't exactly unpredictable

aL_____eX
02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
I still think paying for game progress is anti-consumer and paying for it endorses bad business practices so yeah.

that's just me tho.
I totally agree with you. I wouldn't/won't pay for something like that again if they decide to hold onto 'locked behind microtransactions' content.

@Humble: The game's performance is still far from being perfect in my opinion. Even after 5 patches.

Perk89
02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
I actually went and opened the nomad chest in-game that angered me the most. Just to laugh at it. That was the first thing I did.

Assassin_M
02-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Btw, this wasn't exactly unpredictable
You're trying to devalue my powers, HERETIC!!!

SEIZE HIM!!!

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
I think Ubisoft deserves a round of applause for this one.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/11uArCoB4fkRcQ/giphy.gif

First time I've felt this satisfied with their decision making in a while.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 09:06 PM
TBH it's what they should have done from the start. I mean, it's great that they've finally done it but saying they deserve praise for doing the bare minimum to make their game work is a bit much.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:16 PM
TBH it's what they should have done from the start. I mean, it's great that they've finally done it but saying they deserve praise for doing the bare minimum to make their game work is a bit much.

Giving them a pat on the back for at least being self-aware and rectifying a mistake is the best we can do for Ubisoft at this point, really.

Otherwise they may treat this update as just another update with no significance.

It's a good way of emphasizing the fact we dont want locked content in transmedia, even if they technically dont deserve the praise.

It's like when an alcoholic goes 1 week without drinking. Yeah they shouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place, but it's progress to restoration as a company.

SixKeys
02-18-2015, 09:33 PM
It's like when an alcoholic goes 1 week without drinking. Yeah they shouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place, but it's progress to restoration as a company.

LOL, good analogy.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:35 PM
LOL, good analogy.

Tis what I do best.

VestigialLlama4
02-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Halle-****ing-lujah!!!

They have the free Dead Kings DLC to assuage their feelings of being had. If they had played it, they sign a "Don't-Sue-Me-Ever" waiver so that they can't call a refund for this.

Seriously, the marketing at Ubisoft are such cowards, so easily bullied. My guess is that they were hired for UNITY and inexperienced and came up with zany schemes to justify their paycheck. Hence their obvious and childish reactions (leaking ''Victory'', etc etc).

Shahkulu101
02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm glad everything is unlocked, now subsequent playthrough's won't be so frustrating.

However, I just played some of the companion app missions and they are extremely bare bones. It's like AC3's assassination contracts all over again, you're just told to kill or steal from some random guy standing in the middle of the street without any context whatsoever. There are 'protect' missions as well but these are just as basic as you just defend some randomer from about 4-5 ensuing guards. Seriously, the companion app missions are tremendously unimaginative and rushed. About 18 of these so-called 'missions' are regurgitated throughout the map. And I thought the Paris Stories were bad.

Anyway, not to be too negative. It's great everything's unlocked and thanks for listening Ubisoft, please don't do it again.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:43 PM
However, I just played some of the companion app missions and they are extremely bare bones

It's probably a good thing. Otherwise those like me who didnt have time to do the missions within 24hrs and had our assassins do the work for us didn't miss out on any good gameplay.

That being said, the app shouldn't exist in the first place IMO. At least in terms of its intended purpose.

Shahkulu101
02-18-2015, 09:47 PM
It's probably a good thing. Otherwise those like me who didnt have time to do the missions within 24hrs and had our assassins do the work for us didn't miss out on any good gameplay.

That being said, the app shouldn't exist in the first place IMO. At least in terms of its intended purpose.

I don't mind the concept of a companion app as a peripheral device that isn't required for 100%. Black Flag's was apparently quite useful as a map you could use while on your ship without having to pause, and quite handy for managing your fleet while you weren't playing (Kenway's fleet itself was an online only feature required for full completion however - which I vehemently disagree with).

That said, I never actually used it since to me it's an immersion breaker. I'm Edward Kenway, why am I pulling a smartphone out my arse? :p

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:50 PM
I'm perfectly fine with companion apps as you described.

Just as long as it's not gameplay or content that could easily be included in the game itself.

aL_____eX
02-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Well, it's a question of strategy. They wanted to expand their franchise to transmedia, so they did it.

Fatal-Feit
02-18-2015, 09:51 PM
However, I just played some of the companion app missions and they are extremely bare bones. It's like AC3's assassination contracts all over again, you're just told to kill or steal from some random guy standing in the middle of the street without any context whatsoever. There are 'protect' missions as well but these are just as basic as you just defend some randomer from about 4-5 ensuing guards. Seriously, the companion app missions are tremendously unimaginative and rushed. About 18 of these so-called 'missions' are regurgitated throughout the map. And I thought the Paris Stories were bad.

Speaking of which, these Companion App missions would make for some great missions that shows up randomly throughout Paris. As side missions, they're pretty bad, but as randomly generated missions that shows up throughout your free-roam, I think it'd be \amazing. Random side missions/events are exactly what AC's free-roam need after 100%ing the games.

JustPlainQuirky
02-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Well, it's a question of strategy. They wanted to expand their franchise to transmedia, so they did it.

Yes I only ask they do so in a way that doesn't take away from the standalone gameplay experience.

Hence my issues with original initiates including explanations for events in the main series of games that are
necessary to understand them.

aprice07
02-18-2015, 10:25 PM
I think now that they've done this, I'll delete my old save and start the game over. I completed the main story, but I didn't 100% everything. Usually I like to go through the story, then replay it using another save slot (which is no longer an option), and then I do 100% complete. I didn't want to do it this time, because I didn't know what that would do to all the companion chests. No worries now.

Megas_Doux
02-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Well done Ubisoft.

Dostoe
02-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Awesome news! I didn't bother going for 100% synch because of the companion app, but now I will....after I 100% Shadow of Mordor though. :p

Altair1789
02-19-2015, 01:02 AM
This is news to me

Thanks "Mo" :cool:

Jackdaw951
02-19-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm glad everything is unlocked, now subsequent playthrough's won't be so frustrating.

Anyway, not to be too negative. It's great everything's unlocked and thanks for listening Ubisoft, please don't do it again.

My thoughts, more or less. I've spent a couple of hours today chasing the blue chests and the "new" (to me) blue mission icons. The chests are nothing but money (so far) and the companion missions are mostly money, with a rapier I'll never use thrown in along the way. These missions are way easy and quick. I'm glad I ignored the companion app entirely. But I'm also glad to see all game content back within the confines of the game alone, where it belongs. Thanks to Ubisoft for making the right decisions, and not late in the lifespan of the game. They deserve some praise for listening and acting positively on what we said.