PDA

View Full Version : AC4 is kind of a masterpiece

ubigamercell
02-11-2015, 02:40 PM
I have been playing AC4 and as of now I'm on sequence 4 (mission 2) but most of the time I've spent doing side missions, piloting the ship, swimming to rob ships and just kill soldiers stealthy and whatnot, like WOW! AC4 is the definitive AC to go for, IMO!

The graphics also look gorgeous, music and the characters are actually interesting unlike that a-hole Desmond that was always complaining about everything and was a downer to have around.

So after I'm done with AC4 (it'll be a while) I hope that Rogue makes its way to PS4/XO because it definitely deserves and even though I've not played Unity I'd bet Rogue is even better (different games but still part of the same franchise).

The_Pashker-Man
02-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Agree.
Ac4 is the best ac game in gameplay and world (ac2 in the story).
So much fun to do the 100 percent completion which i did.
And rogue is like 4 but with improvements. Better noval combat. Runs better and new tools and parkur features. Also the best protagonist in the franchise (shay).

Perk89
02-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I have been playing AC4 and as of now I'm on sequence 4 (mission 2) but most of the time I've spent doing side missions, piloting the ship, swimming to rob ships and just kill soldiers stealthy and whatnot, like WOW! AC4 is the definitive AC to go for, IMO!

The graphics also look gorgeous, music and the characters are actually interesting unlike that a-hole Desmond that was always complaining about everything and was a downer to have around.

So after I'm done with AC4 (it'll be a while) I hope that Rogue makes its way to PS4/XO because it definitely deserves and even though I've not played Unity I'd bet Rogue is even better (different games but still part of the same franchise).

Hey. Shut up about Desmond.

but other than that, yeah, AC4 was excellent. I'm playing through it now for the first time on next-gen (really missing all the DLC I had for my 360 but oh well not spending any more money)
Edward was an excellent character and I'd say completely underrated in the sense that not many here will say he's their favorite, but absolutely everyone would say he's real close to being so. Great story too.

Rogue wasn't as good as AC4, but it's an alright game and a new area to explore and some new ship mechanics and tools to toy with are fun. I felt the story and the protagonist were a bit lacking.
With Rogue I recommend you do treasure maps and other collectables as frequently as you can. It's not like AC4 where you can immerse yourself and just collect those things when you like/when you're close as you go along. Rogue is a lot shorter and has a lot more to collect so you've got to break yourself off from the game and go seek them out (difficult to do, given the narrative pushes you along most of the game). I'm sure Ubisoft thinks that method is great because it adds "length" or whatever to your time playing, but it was pretty bad in practice. I finished the main campaign collecting a grand total of like 1 or 2 of each item. There were some outfits and such that I never even saw and have yet to see (unheard of for me in an AC game until Rogue/Unity came out)because I didn't want to spend hours just sailing around with no purpose only to finally unlock them, equip the item or whatever, and then promptly turn my game off because there was nothing left to do.

EmptyCrustacean
02-11-2015, 03:18 PM
It's not a masterpiece - namely because of the generic, dull story that completely ignores the Assassins/Templar conflict but it is great in terms of side content gameplay.

ubigamercell
02-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Hey. Shut up about Desmond.
Why, what do you find so good about Desmond? I as well as many others are glad he's gone for good and never comes back.

His attitude made his animus moments depressing to even play which is why I wish AC3 didn't even have him as much.

wildp1tch
02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Black Flag could have just as well not be an AC game at all and it wouldn't make a difference. Don't get me wrong: I love Black Flag. I love it for the pirate theme, the sea battles, pretty much everything. But it felt as if UBI needed an excuse to make a pirate game and therefore forced an inconsistent AC storyline on it.

Desmond IMHO was the MD element that bound the strings together. Not that I want him back. His death was a climactic element in the story, but I definitely want 3rd person MD back.

TL;DR
Black Flag was an awesome game, just not an awesome Assassins Creed game.

brotersinarms
02-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Yeah it was alright i guess. Just couldn't get into the "pirate" thing. If i was in grade school after reading Treasure Island i'd be more into it lol. Other than that, too much sailing. I like the AC 3 model better with huge maps, horses etc.

Shahkulu101
02-11-2015, 05:39 PM
It's a very good game - but not a masterpiece. It's let down by the weak core mechanics, but the overall feel of the world and side activities coupled with the beautifully told story make it an amazing game. Edward is my favourite protagonist by far.

Megas_Doux
02-11-2015, 06:41 PM
It's a very good game - but not a masterpiece. It's let down by the weak core mechanics, but the overall feel of the world and side activities coupled with the beautifully told story make it an amazing game. Edward is my favourite protagonist by far.

I pretty much agree with this!!!!!!

Gameplay wise it rivals Red Dead Redemption thanks to the huge amounts of sheer/raw fun fun in terms of being this historical version of GTA. Story wise, Edward is my favorite character for its VA does a GREAT job and his story is not about vengeance/daddy issues, but finding himself and becoming a better man in the process.

Jackdaw951
02-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Not only is it my top AC game, but also one of my top games ever. I seldom lose myself in fictional worlds anymore, and it was a welcome feeling. Having the enhanced port as part of the Xbox One/Unity bundle is part of what made me buy the new console. It brought me back to the franchise, and it brought me into the new gen. I doubt I'd be playing Unity without it. How's that for a testimonial?

phoenix-force411
02-11-2015, 08:06 PM
The only thing relevant about Black Flag was the Sage and what happened to Desmond, but other than that the story was pointless when putting it on a scale of how relevant the game actually was.

BananaBlighter
02-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Yep, I thoroughly loved AC4, especially since it got me in to the franchise. It had so much replayability, and was actually the only game I played for months before getting ACR and ACB. It was also the only AC game that I have got 100% sync so far, though I'm pretty much there in Rogue (just have to replay story missions to complete optional objectives). I love how it wasn't just about the regular assassin concept and was really adventurous in many aspects, I really loved the naval stuff. For me, AC2 wins with story, but because personally the world and gameplay are more important I rank AC4 at the top. Let's see what Victory can do.