PDA

View Full Version : ACU Players: What would you consider fair compensation?

AYHJA
02-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Prior to Assassins' Creed Unity, I had not played a console game since Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I had only heard of the Assassin's Creed series, never played it.

ACU on was myXbox One was first entry for 4th Generation console gaming.

I have enjoyed playing ACU for the most part, and spent enough time to earn my Legend status. I can appreciate what Ubisoft has done, even while recognizing that there are a myriad of issues surrounding the title.

If you are like me, then you have spent several hours plugging away at puzzles and glitches and companion apps. Amassed millions of in game francs and assassin points only to see them sit idle because we have to play club missions to unlock some of the gear. This game is fun, but admittedly, it leaves some to be desired...

Because I'm new to most of this, I don't have a floor and a ceiling. I can't speak to how egregious this is on a whole because I don't have much to compare it to. I have experienced every issue beyond my control on this title.

What do you feel would be fair compensation for the errors? Unlocking club play gear? In game credits?

aL_____eX
02-05-2015, 01:10 AM
We got a fully priced Story DLC for free. That's fair enough if you ask me.

SixKeys
02-05-2015, 01:51 AM
We got a fully priced Story DLC for free. That's fair enough if you ask me.

It would have been fair if the DLC didn't run like **** also.

wvstolzing
02-05-2015, 02:25 AM
If this were mission-critical productivity software, then the customers would be well within their rights to ask for compensation -- and it would work, because the harm that is done can be objectively assessed.

With games, I guess it's a bit trickier. It's not like the game doesn't run *at all*; and one can't reasonably ask for 100% immaculate bug/glitch/stutter free performance either. Software bugs have crippled multimillion-dollar space projects, guided missiles on friendly territory, and on and on -- they have as much to do with the shortcomings of our existing computing infrastructures as our confusion-prone monkey brains.

The complaint is rather that the game is just 'not as enjoyable as it should be'. But then how do you measure 'enjoyment'? 'Optimal enjoyment'? We cross immediately into really murky territory here.

The DLC was a gesture of good will, no doubt out of 'PR' concerns. It's an 'inexact' solution to an 'inexact' problem.

What customers should do *next*, is to avoid pre-ordering, or even buying on release -- without such a response this vicious cycle will keep repeating; but otherwise they might start putting in some resources into QA, and the result would be compensation enough for everyone.

Selian DeSang
02-05-2015, 04:21 AM
to me i under stand the glitches, its tech it has bugs, but as a seasoned creed player the whole club comp to unlock gear is unacceptable, i dont remember having to play multiplayer in brotherhood to unlock the good gear. and AC 1-3(and titles in between) i never had to worry about the multiplayer aspect. then came the community challenges in four, the rewards were not as good as the gear you could get in game but something to work towards(i like my original assassin colors of white and red not this blue crap thew went to), now we have so much locked behind multiplayer or internet needed services.

so as for compensation, immediate unlock of all gear(the club comps are a good idea just the reward system sucks and its glitchy as well), the dlc was a nice touch seeing as i wouldnt have bought it had it not been offered for free(once again glitchy). and more response, the devs and ubi in general have been keeping very quiet, full transparency of what is going on would be the best compensation. answers to questions such as why release when you knew the game had game killing glitches? why create a mobile app when you know a fair amount of your buyer base either doesnt have a smart phone or have no interest in it? why lock in game gear behind these walls that require outside devices or services in order to complete a game? so on and so forth.

Fatal-Feit
02-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Rewarding players with all the ubi-collectible DLCs.

SixKeys
02-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Rewarding players with all the ubi-collectible DLCs.

You're only saying that because you want the 'Arno, the fearless assassin' outfit. :rolleyes:

AYHJA
02-05-2015, 06:03 AM
You guys make interesting points, thanks for sharing them. As I said, been a long time since I've gamed, and it has obviously changed quite a bit.

I don't think that the DLC being free is enough. If you were to ask 10 gamers if they would rather pay $20 and have everything work, vs getting a buggy version that may or may not work, I'd say 80% of them would pay the $20.

I did not buy this game, it came with my Xbox. I would only buy well reviewed games, I cannot see myself having paid for it directly. I will probably never buy an Ubisoft game after this. Certainly not full price. When there are mistakes, there needs to be a swift and clear plan of action. I work as a consultant, I don't have a problem with things going wrong. But when they go wrong, and there's not a plan in place; I cannot be convinced that I am valued as a customer.

I can't say what I would want. I plan to continue playing the game, I'm pretty far invested into it now. More than compensation, I'd like to see Ubisoft grab a handful of competent, intelligent people and come up with a solution that will appease a big percentage of gamers. Not everyone will be happy, not everyone can be. But seemingly assuming we will forget, and keep buying. That's not becoming of a good company.

All that said, I think I'd be in favor of not being forced to play Club Competition. Who is going to sit around for weeks waiting to unlock a piece of equipment? And even if you win the club competition, the item still costs. Oh, and playing online also costs money. I really like the idea of the club, just don't want to be forced into it. That's a ratchet way to introduce someone to something.

Maybe they should have made Francs the key of club competitions, and made the in game items expensive...Like make Club competitions a shortcut to make quick Francs or something. If I want the Medieval belt, I can hustle and do side missions for 2 days until I can pay for it, or do 3 or 4 club missions and have enough money that day.

So many things that could be done that would make this game one of the best I've ever played...Oh well...Time to go and check on my companion app missions. See if my 24 hours is up... :/

The4orTy67
02-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Sell me some shares of stock for a good price.

Jackdaw951
02-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Prior to Assassins' Creed Unity, I had not played a console game since Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I had only heard of the Assassin's Creed series, never played it.

I have enjoyed playing ACU for the most part, and spent enough time to earn my Legend status. I can appreciate what Ubisoft has done, even while recognizing that there are a myriad of issues surrounding the title.

If you are like me, then you have spent several hours plugging away at puzzles and glitches and companion apps. Amassed millions of in game francs and assassin points only to see them sit idle because we have to play club missions to unlock some of the gear. This game is fun, but admittedly, it leaves some to be desired...

Because I'm new to most of this, I don't have a floor and a ceiling. I can't speak to how egregious this is on a whole because I don't have much to compare it to. I have experienced every issue beyond my control on this title.

What do you feel would be fair compensation for the errors? Unlocking club play gear? In game credits?

The current console generation is the 8th, not the 4th. Maybe it's your 4th, though. :)

The only time I felt abused by the condition of Unity was when I was forced to re-download the entire 40GB game, because of a malformed Patch 4 on the Xbox. At the time, I felt like those peasants in the streets of Paris, wishing I could parade the head of some Ubisoft suit high on a pike. The bloodlust has since subsided, and on the whole, the Unity experience has been a good one. I was glad to get Dead Kings for free, however little there was of it.

My compensation is a clearer picture of who Ubisoft (and to be fair, other large game publishers) are at this point in time. My trust in the quality of their games at launch is now zero. I will wait a good long while before buying their games in the future, and even then, only if the games work as advertised.

melbye82
02-05-2015, 04:31 PM

8th generation actually

AYHJA
02-05-2015, 04:33 PM
The current console generation is the 8th, not the 4th. Maybe it's your 4th, though. :).

Yeah...I got my first console when I was a kid...An Atari 2600...I've had so many since then, every one since then, I lost count. So I just count when I got my first PlayStation way back when. So, maybe you're right, I don't know. 4th for me! :D

But yeah, you said it man. NEVER AGAIN. I'll be subscribing to Gamefly as soon as I get home. I am actually looking forward to the next version of the AC series, the one codenamed Victory...

Now THAT'S a comp I would consider. Some sort of discount or perk on the next series. It seems that the console world follows the world of OS's, so the next entry will probably fix the problems of this one add a few minor ones of its own, but also enhance the gaming experience significantly. Skip Vista, Get Windows 7, Skip Windows 8, get Windows 10, heh.

Fatal-Feit
02-05-2015, 10:57 PM
You're only saying that because you want the 'Arno, the fearless assassin' outfit. :rolleyes:

SixKeys-sama, plz.