PDA

View Full Version : Unity is just too damn difficult :mad:

The4orTy67
02-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Let me start by saying that AC II was my first foray into the Assassin's Creed franchise. I bought it in 2013. All was good. Game was fun. Combat well balanced. I didn't die too often.

Now fast forward to 2015, I picked up Unity and well this game has to be the hardest one I have ever owned. Enemies can kill you in 2 to 3 hits. Snipers take you down with one shot. There isn't even a designated block button like in previous AC games. The controls are slow responding, sometimes Arno is refusing to use his sword or climb up a building. The only thing I really like are some of the sandbox missions and the graphics (the overall performance eh not so much). Gear is seriously overpriced, I bought all the Cafès and own the Cafè Theatre and I still only make 40k an hour. Don't even get me started on those microtransactions. I can't recall if AC II was this greedy. I'm selling this game tomorrow and would like to ask:

Is AC IV: Black Flag better than Unity? I don't care about the whole parkour stuff I reckon it's similiar to AC III; I just wanna know if I'll get my butt handed to me every single time I step into a fight. Also, I really dig the pirate setting.

Inb4 "you r a n00b" comments.

Xstantin
02-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Climb the roof and hide behind chimneys to kill the gunners first with hidden blades, on top of that they're very weak once you get close so they won't shoot you
Smoke bomb everything + health skill thingy like "thicker skin" or whatever it was called
Also, you can berserk the heavy guys like defenders and they'll do you job for the most part cause they have pretty good endurance

DemonLord4lf
02-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Let me start by saying that AC II was my first foray into the Assassin's Creed franchise. I bought it in 2013. All was good. Game was fun. Combat well balanced. I didn't die too often.

Now fast forward to 2015, I picked up Unity and well this game has to be the hardest one I have ever owned. Enemies can kill you in 2 to 3 hits. Snipers take you down with one shot. There isn't even a designated block button like in previous AC games. The controls are slow responding, sometimes Arno is refusing to use his sword or climb up a building. The only thing I really like are some of the sandbox missions and the graphics (the overall performance eh not so much). Gear is seriously overpriced, I bought all the Cafès and own the Cafè Theatre and I still only make 40k an hour. Don't even get me started on those microtransactions. I can't recall if AC II was this greedy. I'm selling this game tomorrow and would like to ask:

Is AC IV: Black Flag better than Unity? I don't care about the whole parkour stuff I reckon it's similiar to AC III; I just wanna know if I'll get my butt handed to me every single time I step into a fight. Also, I really dig the pirate setting.

Black Flag is still the old combat style, just made a bit tougher. So it'll be more fun then ACII was. Ubisoft took alot out of combat and claimed they made it more difficult. Which they did... head banging, controller throwing harder... It took all the fun out of combat. Which i'll admit combat shouldn't be your main focus in a game like this, it should still be balanced with stealth so you dont feel like your being punished for going combat.

Megas_Doux
02-01-2015, 10:59 PM
It´s not that Unity is hard, this is NO Dark Souls for example, but mostly the fact the rest of the games in the franchise are UBER easy to a point in which dying instead of surviving is the actual predicament regarding combat. Thing is you just were accustomed to that scenario, after all it´s been six games with that almost non existent difficulty system.

In previous games you could carelessly blitz an entire battalion and neither your gear -weapons/armour- nor the quantity/quality or your enemies mattered a bit due the easiness of it. All you needed to know was the location of the counter and attack buttons in your control/keyboard because the window was bigger than The Arc de Triomphe and that alone got the job done. So,my advice?????

1 Try taking down stealthy as much enemies as you can, the big guys first.
2 Roll, roll and roll, that way should you encounter more than 4 enemies you will able to "dodge" the gun shoots.
3 Upgrade the heavy attack on "melee option" cant remember its name though. That will help you defeating your enemies, that with a better weapon than the first ones of course.
4 Upgrade your Cafe theatre and buy the lesser ones within the districts. Once you have enough money to get a better gear, the game will get a lot easier. Hey, after all I still find Unity not hard.....

PD It seems the MAJORITY of fans are reacting to Unity´s "difficulty" in a negative way and thus I´m afraid we´ll back to the old ways of being an invincible force of nature able to go through waves and waves of enemies no matter the situation and supported by 958958309 units of ammo like it was nothing....

Fatal-Feit
02-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Black Flag's combat is very easy, you'll enjoy it.

Megas_Doux
02-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Which i'll admit combat shouldn't be your main focus in a game like this, it should still be balanced with stealth so you dont feel like your being punished for going combat.

I dont know which stealth games have you played, but in Metal Gear, Thief, Arkham, Splinter Cell and even the more action oriented Uncharted you are actually "punished" for going combat, mostly in the higher difficulty levels. In fact, on Metal Gear Sons of Liberty you can activate a game option of failing the mission aka dying should the guards detect you and dont get me started on Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, in which openly blitzing more than two enemies -high difficulty levels, just in case- is a death sentence......

DemonLord4lf
02-01-2015, 11:17 PM
I dont know which stealth games have you played, but in Metal Gear, Thief, Arkham, Splinter Cell and even the more action oriented Uncharted you are actually "punished" for going combat, mostly in the higher difficulty levels. In fact, on Metal Gear Sons of Liberty you can activate a game option of failing the mission aka dying should the guards detect you and dont get me started on Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, in which openly blitzing more than two enemies -high difficulty levels, just in case- is a death sentence......

I never said this game was a pure stealth game. It has never been purely about stealth. It has always been about combat and stealth. Now all of a sudden they want it to be pure stealth. Also, i did a lot of pure combat in those games too. Though i did play on a lower difficulty level. AC never had a difficulty level, which i believe they should do now. Since some people think the game should be pure stealth and others want it to be the way it was since AC II. Just my opinion on the matter.

Namikaze_17
02-01-2015, 11:21 PM
That's too bad...

Back to simplistic five-year old combat we go. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
02-01-2015, 11:33 PM
I never said this game was a pure stealth game. It has never been purely about stealth. It has always been about combat and stealth. Now all of a sudden they want it to be pure stealth. Also, i did a lot of pure combat in those games too. Though i did play on a lower difficulty level. AC never had a difficulty level, which i believe they should do now. Since some people think the game should be pure stealth and others want it to be the way it was since AC II. Just my opinion on the matter.

AC is about stealth, combat, and navigation. The 3 core pillars of the franchise. Previous ACs were mostly pseudo stealth. They originally forced you to do one or two things as a time and was full of desyncs. It sucked. I still get nightmares from Brotherhood.

With Unity, there's only a few linear/scripted sequences. Unity, for the most part, promotes open-ended decisions. It's not about just stealth, it's about giving you decisions. Do you want to run in rambo and kill everyone? Go for it. Do you want to go and kill the main target discreetly? Go for it. Don't mistake balancing combat for promoting stealth. Combat was ridiculously easy back then.

Megas_Doux
02-01-2015, 11:39 PM
That's too bad...

Back to simplistic five-year old combat we go. :rolleyes:

That fives year old sentence thing is mine to use...I´ll sue you haha ;p

Shahkulu101
02-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Depressing.

****ing depressing.

Namikaze_17
02-01-2015, 11:50 PM
That fives year old sentence thing is mine to use...I´ll sue you haha ;p

I know. ;-)

Fatal-Feit
02-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Depressing.

****ing depressing.

Come on guys, be nice. desu desu

Megas_Doux
02-01-2015, 11:58 PM

What I mean is that stealth mechanics in AC prior Unity -AC III if complacent- were THAT poor/ non existant even Uncharted being this adventure third person shooter FULL of over the top action platforming saga had them more and better executed than AC...... As I said, Uncharted rewards you if a stealthy approach is taken, which means it punishes you if the other path is chosen.......

You know, that says A LOT in a bad way regarding "stealth" and combat in this franchise.

Shahkulu101
02-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Okay, I'll be nice.

I respect your opinion OP, but I've been waiting for AC to have some degree of challenge and actually play like a stealth game and Unity (somewhat) delivered that. Now I see people complain about the difficulty (even though it was still pretty easy - just not baby tier) and want the series to revert back to the mindless, one man army approach. Which would remove any chance of AC ever being a competent stealth action game.

That is why I find opinions like yours thoroughly depressing. No hard feelings on a personal level.

The4orTy67
02-02-2015, 01:24 AM
None taken.

I'm not saying that future AC games should be super easy, I'm not a big fan of AC to begin with, I was simply surprised by how difficult this game is (for me). I'm not here to ruin future installments of your beloved franchise, I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same. I recently completed these two very open ended missions. One where you kill Monsieur Le Frog inside Notre Dame and the other one where you kill Monsieur Le Frogue in the sewers. Those missions I like, they gave you options, you could go in guns blazing or take a more stealthy approach (steal the keys; kill the priest). Stealth works most of the time- and I agree that past AC titles only featured pseudo stealth- but why on earth did they remove the option to whistle? You now have these cherry bombs instead. I would even argue that Watch Dogs is the better stealth game but maybe that's just me.
I tried to like this game, I really did, I like the city, the parkour, the graphics, but the damn combat feels like it has taken two steps back and fallen off a cliff. Arno the master assassins can't even block.

DemonLord4lf
02-02-2015, 01:49 AM
None taken.

I'm not saying that future AC games should be super easy, I'm not a big fan of AC to begin with, I was simply surprised by how difficult this game is (for me). I'm not here to ruin future installments of your beloved franchise, I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same. I recently completed these two very open ended missions. One where you kill Monsieur Le Frog inside Notre Dame and the other one where you kill Monsieur Le Frogue in the sewers. Those missions I like, they gave you options, you could go in guns blazing or take a more stealthy approach (steal the keys; kill the priest). Stealth works most of the time- and I agree that past AC titles only featured pseudo stealth- but why on earth did they remove the option to whistle? You now have these cherry bombs instead. I would even argue that Watch Dogs is the better stealth game but maybe that's just me.
I tried to like this game, I really did, I like the city, the parkour, the graphics, but the damn combat feels like it has taken two steps back and fallen off a cliff. Arno the master assassins can't even block.

Agreed. At first I thought I wanted the old combat system back. However, looking back, I realized that it was way too easy. They were taking steps in making it more challenging, but with Unity, they completely dropped the ball. They changed everything about the combat system and just started over. Thats not being innovative, thats just being lazy. I hope Victory's new combat system will find a good balance of combat and stealth. When stealth isn't an option combat will be fun and fluid, but also stealth be fun and innovative.

jeffies04
02-02-2015, 03:13 AM
I just played some Black Flag for about 3 hours this afternoon. It was so clearly evident how press-to-win combat was in that game. You never had to retreat or escape, because you could take down the whole city watch by yourself.

Once you start building your character up with better skills and equipment in Unity, you really start opening doors for yourself. If you feel the need to ambush a few guards, you can, but if they ring the alarm and send all of the reinforcements in, you better have an escape plan. I don't see why anyone would not want that sort of decision-making attack-planning challenge.

I respect everyone's opinion, but I too find it depressing when I hear people wanting the one-man-army again. There are a few quirks in Unity that I'd change, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

jeffies04
02-02-2015, 03:15 AM
Arno the master assassins can't even block.

What do you mean? When the meter is red he'll do a sweeping parry, when the meter is yellow he'll do a perfect parry.

Xstantin
02-02-2015, 03:17 AM

But he can parry and has some OP equipment :p

Megas_Doux
02-02-2015, 05:09 AM
None taken.

He can!!!!!

Thing is that, unlike the previous games in which difficulty was that of kindergartners, the parry "window" is shorter and requires more accuracy.

I just played some Black Flag for about 3 hours this afternoon. It was so clearly evident how press-to-win combat was in that game. You never had to retreat or escape, because you could take down the whole city watch by yourself.

Once you start building your character up with better skills and equipment in Unity, you really start opening doors for yourself. If you feel the need to ambush a few guards, you can, but if they ring the alarm and send all of the reinforcements in, you better have an escape plan. I don't see why anyone would not want that sort of decision-making attack-planning challenge.

I respect everyone's opinion, but I too find it depressing when I hear people wanting the one-man-army again. There are a few quirks in Unity that I'd change, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

I agree 1000%

And the saddest about is that I still find Unity to be a rather easy game once you buy a decent gear and gain more experience. This is neither Dark Souls nor Metal Gear 3 Snake Eater on Extreme European difficulty......

Rafe Harwood
02-02-2015, 05:11 AM
One of the early arguments about this game was the removal of non-fatal/stealth takedowns. This really upset me before I got the game as one of the things I always tried for in the earlier games was a 0 kill count (or as near as it was possible to get).

What I found when I actually played the game however, was the complete falacies that abounded. The stealth takedown (non-lethal) is still there. You can still go up behind someone and 'knock them out'. It was never removed.

There are several other things that people complain about that are actually the complete opposite of what they were arguing. Until you actually try a different approach or even try the old button combos you used to use, you never know if you will like/are able to use the methds you prefer.

Of course, that being said, the combat in Unity is great. I love that it is more thought provoking.

However, combat is not actually meant to be as hard as it is. Combat is massively broken in Unity by waiting for the animations. This was a huge mistake and is what causes most peoples issues.

When performing an attack, the animations have to catch up as the commands get buffered. So when you try to throw a smoke bomb to escape some trouble, you can't actually do it until the animation for the previous action has completed. That is what makes combat so difficult. It's broken.

It's still great fun, but annoying as all hell when you scream at the screen because you perform actions just that half second to late on screen when using the correct combos at the correct time.

Megas_Doux
02-02-2015, 05:17 AM
One of the early arguments about this game was the removal of non-fatal/stealth takedowns. This really upset me before I got the game as one of the things I always tried for in the earlier games was a 0 kill count (or as near as it was possible to get).

You can still do that!!!!!!

Instead of square, press and hold circle -if you are playing on ps4 or in my case, PC with a ps3 controller- while you are near a guard that is unaware of your presence.

Fatal-Feit
02-02-2015, 05:19 AM
And the saddest about it is that I still find Unity to be a rather easy game once you buy a decent gear and gain more experience. This neither Dark Souls nor Metal Gear 3 Snake Eater on Extreme European difficulty......

You don't need to buy decent equipment, Arno is powerful enough right off the bat. Literally. I've been playing around with the combat and there are plenty of ways to instant kill enemies, it just takes some timing and strategy.

What Unity requires is some decent practice and skill. Learning the archetypes are important in Unity. Their strengths and weaknesses, when or when not to attack/dodge/parry, what they're immune to, etc, etc. It goes a long way. Huge AC combat expert here and I honestly find Unity's combat more fun and engaging than most of the previous titles. Instead of combat becoming something where you're frustrated because you've taken a hit after flawlessly murdering 10-20 guards, it's about surviving and staying attentive on the battlefield.

@Rafe Harwood - Agreed on the last bit. Unity's, of all the combat, suffers the most from being unpolished.

Rafe Harwood
02-02-2015, 05:21 AM
You can still do that!!!!!!

Instead of square, press and hold circle -if you are playing on ps4 or in my case, PC with a ps3 controller- while you are near a guard that is unaware of your presence.

If you bothered to read the next paragraph, I actually said that ;)

And on the hexbox, it's B :)

Megas_Doux
02-02-2015, 05:23 AM
If you bothered to read the next paragraph, I actually said that ;)

And on the hexbox, it's B :)

Oh my bad bro! Sorry haha.

xPLAY3R1x
02-02-2015, 06:57 AM
The combat itself (blocking, attacking) is simple.

However, there is a huge input delay between the button presses and what Arno actually does. You can't cancel finishers which is the biggest problem because this leaves Arno open for attack (sliced, shot) because it also zooms the damn camera in, obscuring the peripherals around him. This is why combat is frustrating and overly complicated. It's not "hard" or "challenging" by any means, no matter what some "hardcore" gamers want you to believe, OP. It's just frustratingly BROKEN because of poor mechanics and the inherent input lag in the engine because it's trying to do too much at once (hundreds of NPCs on screen; combat AI, etc).

On top of that, Unity has a leveling system for enemies right out of an MMO which works against promoting Arno as an Assassin. There is no logical reason Arno shouldn't be able to take out some street thugs quickly, but... You can't do that in Unity when a common street thug has a five diamond rating, the same as a Master Assassin! This makes no sense and is what makes fights drawn out when they should be much quicker, input delays aside.

Then there is the mission designs which also work against the whole "AC is a stealth game" line I keep being spouted.

In half the missions (campaign, side), stealth is not an option. Period. They are designed as mini-battles to help level up Arno and make the player feel like they are a badass when they really aren't because of the stupid leveling system the enemies have. This is one of Unity's big problems: Everything in the game works against itself, so nothing is... Unified, pun intended. They want players to play "strategically", but then take away necessary tools like the Whistle and replace it with crap that doesn't even work half the time. This is where true stealth games like Splinter Cell get it right; they give players tools to help them avoid combat whereas Unity not only takes them away, but then punishes you for doing the alternative (combat).

Shahkulu101
02-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Unity has the most stealth missions out of all the games. That is statistically true, a member here has worked out the stealth viability of each title using a spreadsheet (I will link if I find the thread) and Unity has the highest percentage of stealth viable missions. So no, 'half' the missions aren't combat focused. Agree about whistling and lack of tools though, and I feel the AI is inconsistent and the cover system clunky.

Link to thread: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/898522-Assassin-s-Creed-series-stealth-viability-sheet/page7?highlight=Stealth+viability

AjinkyaParuleka
02-02-2015, 09:01 AM
OP should play Dark Souls.He will then laugh at Unity's difficulty.

The4orTy67
02-02-2015, 11:20 AM
I would most likely commit suicide.

marvelfannumber
02-02-2015, 11:44 AM
OP should play Dark Souls.He will then laugh at Unity's difficulty.

Nah screw that. OP should play Ninja Gaiden on the NES (1, 2 or 3. It really doesn't matter), he'll end up thinking his fingers are his legs.

Though on-topic, I have not gotten to play Unity myself yet so I can't give a good objective opinion on the matter. But from what I have seen it looks decent (albeit maybe a bit too slow?).

DynaRider
02-02-2015, 02:56 PM
UBIsoft must have been doing something right to make the AC series so popular. People, myself included, would line up at midnight in cold weather just to get our hands on the next installment. Sure the combat was fairly easy but being the baddest man in the valley was pretty much fun. And then for reasons known only to a few in UBI they introduced a new, harder level of combat where you were assured of being killed repeatedly which quickly became a major irritant and took away the fun of playing for an awful lot of players. I have played all the previous releases several times and am currently playing Rogue for the third time. I did manage to finish Unity and started to play it a second time but part way through I just grew tired of being killed without warning and being assigned missions that pretty much amounted to doing the same thing over and over in settings that were all the same. In other versions you played in a lot of different locations and settings but in Unity everything happens in the same buildings and settings and it becomes old and tedious wading through crowds with constant noise, constant challenges from guards and never ending catching purse snatchers and killing criminals. Unity is a disappointment for me and I hope the next AC installment will return to the format that has made the series such a success.

marvelfannumber
02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Sure the combat was fairly easy but being the baddest man in the valley was pretty much fun.

"The game is Assassin's Creed not Assassin Warrior"

-Darby McDevitt

Jackdaw951
02-02-2015, 03:33 PM

I love AC4. It's my favorite AC, and one of my top games of all time. But you're being unfair to Unity. It has a whole new character-development system which is more RPG-like. You start out weak, but you can develop into a very powerful, hard-to-kill warrior. By the time you figure it all out (assuming you spend the time to do it), you'll laugh about ever thinking that it was too hard.

m4r-k7
02-02-2015, 04:13 PM
"The game is Assassin's Creed not Assassin Warrior"

-Darby McDevitt

Whilst I whole heartedly agree with this quote, AC 3 and AC 4 was literally Assassin Warrior (AC 4 managed to retain more stealth though) so I don't know how he can say that xD

Shahkulu101
02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Whilst I whole heartedly agree with this quote, AC 3 and AC 4 was literally Assassin Warrior (AC 4 managed to retain more stealth though) so I don't know how he can say that xD

He was talking about the fact people complained Edward didn't officially fight for the Assassin's even though his charcater comes to accept and understand the Assassin's Creed, which is what the games are all about. It still works well as a way to describe the combat though.

Namikaze_17
02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
^ We've been "Assassin Warrior" since Brotherhood to be fair. :rolleyes:

The fact I could take fifteen guards without changing my armor or weapons was ridiculous.

DynaRider
02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
^ We've been "Assassin Warrior" since Brotherhood to be fair. :rolleyes:

The fact I could take fifteen guards without changing my armor or weapons was ridiculous.

And the fact you could leap from hundreds of feet in the air into a pile of leaves was not. Or the fact the assassin could be dressed in a distinctive outfit that guards couldn't see was not? The assassins were endowed with lots of special abilities and among those was the capability to wield different weapons with skills that could lay waste to any opponent who was unlucky enough to encounter them. Being able to take on and defeat a multitude of attackers is a pretty common theme in movies and television programs so it shouldn't be surprising in a video game. Being invincible is probably a fantasy of a goodly portion of the human race.

Rafe Harwood
02-02-2015, 06:19 PM
And the fact you could leap from hundreds of feet in the air into a pile of leaves was not. Or the fact the assassin could be dressed in a distinctive outfit that guards couldn't see was not? The assassins were endowed with lots of special abilities and among those was the capability to wield different weapons with skills that could lay waste to any opponent who was unlucky enough to encounter them. Being able to take on and defeat a multitude of attackers is a pretty common theme in movies and television programs so it shouldn't be surprising in a video game. Being invincible is probably a fantasy of a goodly portion of the human race.

You miss the point a wee bit.

We have to suspend a certain level of disbelief in order to play 'any' video game. Leaps of faith are accepted assassin tools.

However, the warfare/commando thing is too much and has been for the last few games. Even the leaderboards on AC3 rewarded getting more kills. You were higher up the leaderboard the more kills you got. This action in itself completely destroyed the 'assassin' ,mythos. The reward should have been for taking out the most 'without' killing them.

Yes. there are many combat games that work in a certain way out there. The reason a vast majority of us started playing and liking AC was because it was 'not' like those others.

If we wanted a million bloody COD clones then we would be playing them. We don't want to play them so we play AC. Making AC more like the COD CRUD totally defeats that and pisses a lot of us off.

Farlander1991
02-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Leap of faiths are unrealistic and rely heavily on suspension of disbelief, yes. But they're not a superpower. They're suicidal acts. Incredibly cool looking, but they're a sign of how Assassins are ready to die. How they're ready to get to their target in broad daylight and most likely be cut down to pieces as soon as they kill the target (though Assassins always find a means of escape). An overpowered warrior ala different brawling games are the opposite of people who are ready to die, as there's no death for them to fear (in Ezio's case in Brotherhood that's literally, there's a video that shows how Ezio's last health point regenerates too fast for the guards to kill him)

One of the tenets of the Creed is to be a blade in the crowd. That's because you can't fight off all the enemies. You're invisible, then you strike, then you get away. A person who can take dozens of guards at ease doesn't need that tenet. He's the opposite of that tenet. Why would you need to be a blade in the crowd if you can just... kill everybody without a single worry?

jeffies04
02-02-2015, 08:43 PM
One of the tenets of the Creed is to be a blade in the crowd. That's because you can't fight off all the enemies. You're invisible, then you strike, then you get away. A person who can take dozens of guards at ease doesn't need that tenet. He's the opposite of that tenet. Why would you need to be a blade in the crowd if you can just... kill everybody without a single worry?

Well said!

I hope they tidy up the technical aspects of combat, but keep the challenge and need for strategy.

If I'm not slipping in and slipping out, one of my favorite things to do is start stealthy and infiltrate... but once I know I have my target right where I want him, then I unleash a whole mass of chaos and panic while I take him out. People screaming, running, alarm bells ringing, smoke bombs smoking, flash bombs banging, and then slip out as fast as it all started leaving just one dead body and a bunch of confused guards and crying citizens. I've gotten pretty good at it but if I don't plan it right and it goes wrong I'm surely dead.

ARNAXE_DORIAN
02-02-2015, 09:10 PM
AC3 had perfect balance but casuls hated the game because it wasn't easy weasy so now we hav this.

Megas_Doux
02-02-2015, 09:23 PM
AC3 had perfect balance but casuls hated the game because it wasn't easy weasy so now we hav this.

If anything, I would think "casuals*" are the ones complaining about Unity being "too hard". Which I respectfully disagree, since Unity is still easy for this game is NOT Dark Souls for instance....

Thing is that, unlike ever before, now there is somewhat of a challenge. Back in the day AC seemed to be designed to be played by kindergartens!!!! Even my five years old cousin can go to Il Vaticano and defeat its "elite" guards like it was nothing.....

* I dont usually use that word though....

The4orTy67
02-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Just a few hours ago I bought Black Flag for my PS4. And what can I say I have stopped living in constant fear. An enemy attacks, a red box appears above their heads, I press circle and then kill him. I can now sleep well.

Fatal-Feit
02-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Life is good.

http://pedant.artoflivin.sk/wp-content/uploads/Rage-Comics-In-Real-Life.jpg

SixKeys
02-03-2015, 01:01 AM
Jesus that scared me.

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 01:10 AM
What they should do is some kind of difficulty level. So those of us who enjoyed the old style of combat can have that, and those of you who want a Dead Souls kind of combat can have that.

SixKeys
02-03-2015, 01:15 AM
People have been requesting difficulty settings for ages, but that would break the lore. The reason they came up with the concept of the Animus in the first place was to explain away all the usual "game-y" aspects of the game. Dying is desynchronizing, the HUD is the Animus interface etc. Having difficulty settings simply makes no sense for a virtual machine that supposedly lets you relive ancestral memories exactly the way they happened.

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 01:18 AM
People have been requesting difficulty settings for ages, but that would break the lore. The reason they came up with the concept of the Animus in the first place was to explain away all the usual "game-y" aspects of the game. Dying is desynchronizing, the HUD is the Animus interface etc. Having difficulty settings simply makes no sense for a virtual machine that supposedly lets you relive ancestral memories exactly the way they happened.

What Animus? They got rid of that when they got rid of the MD storyline. Now its just a game being released by Abstergo Entertainment. So they can do that now, especially if they have no intention of doing a Modern Day story again.

Shahkulu101
02-03-2015, 01:32 AM

Since the Helix is a home entertainment system, difficulty settings would make sense. As long as you relive the major events, it shouldn't matter how many guards there were or how tough they are - as long as you cover the main aspects.

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Since the Helix is a home entertainment system, difficulty settings would make sense. As long as you relive the major events, it shouldn't matter how many guards there were or how tough they are - as long as you cover the main aspects.

Exactly!

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2015, 02:32 AM
So essentially we should have:

Super duper teany weany easy

Super duper easy

Super easy

Easy -> for the most daring of AC fans

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 02:35 AM
So essentially we should have:

Super duper teany weany easy

Super duper easy

Super easy

Easy -> for the most daring of AC fans

How about Old Combat

Dead Souls Combat, since a lot of people seem to think the combat system should be the same.

SixKeys
02-03-2015, 02:45 AM
What Animus? They got rid of that when they got rid of the MD storyline. Now its just a game being released by Abstergo Entertainment. So they can do that now, especially if they have no intention of doing a Modern Day story again.

It's not "just a game", otherwise Bishop wouldn't be able to contact you and control your actions in the game. For example the Rifts are framed as Abstergo trying to hunt you down before you hack their simulation. So Abstergo are hunting down your avatar, which they created for you, because they're worried you might hack into their mainframe via their own entertainment system? That's not how a game works IRL.

The more I think about it, the less sense this whole Helix business makes. I wish they'd just go back to the Animus as a simple framing device.

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 02:49 AM
It's not "just a game", otherwise Bishop wouldn't be able to contact you and control your actions in the game. For example the Rifts are framed as Abstergo trying to hunt you down before you hack their simulation. So Abstergo are hunting down your avatar, which they created for you, because they're worried you might hack into their mainframe via their own entertainment system? That's not how a game works IRL.

The more I think about it, the less sense this whole Helix business makes. I wish they'd just go back to the Animus as a simple framing device.

Dont make me quote Mythbuster Adam Savage on you mister >: (

SixKeys
02-03-2015, 02:56 AM
At least the Animus made sense as an allegory. Desmond represented us, the "real" gamer. His virtual reality machine was basically an advanced console, and the "memories" he was reliving were video game levels.

Now they're trying to push this fantasy of us REALLY being called to join the assassins and our console REALLY being a virtual reality time machine, but that just creates so many headscratchers it would take a dumptruck to fill in the plot holes.

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 02:59 AM
At least the Animus made sense as an allegory. Desmond represented us, the "real" gamer. His virtual reality machine was basically an advanced console, and the "memories" he was reliving were video game levels.

Now they're trying to push this fantasy of us REALLY being called to join the assassins and our console REALLY being a virtual reality time machine, but that just creates so many headscratchers it would take a dumptruck to fill in the plot holes.

On behalf of Ubisoft, i quote Adam Savage, "I reject your reality and substitute my own" so :p

SixKeys
02-03-2015, 03:03 AM
On behalf of Ubisoft, i quote Adam Savage, "I reject your reality and substitute my own" so :p

Yeah, but Ubi's new substitute reality sucks compared to the old one.

DemonLord4lf
02-03-2015, 03:07 AM
Yeah, but Ubi's new substitute reality sucks compared to the old one.

That i agree.

phoenix-force411
02-03-2015, 03:10 AM
Unity is difficult. Try fighting guards near the training camps(who are level 4-5), next thing you know you're surrounded by 40+ guards shooting and attacking you off-screen.

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2015, 03:21 AM
How about Old Combat
Super duper teany weany easy - B/2

Super duper easy - IV/RO

Super easy -> R/3

Easy -> 1/Unity

phoenix-force411
02-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Super duper teany weany easy - B/2

Super duper easy - IV/RO

Super easy -> R/3

Easy -> 1/Unity

I applaud Rogue for the Bounty Hunters. They are definitely more annoying than any archetype in the AC games, because of their immunity to most cheeseable tactics.

SixKeys
02-03-2015, 03:59 AM
They need to make this the tutorial stage for the next AC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZ_WIlQmMI

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2015, 08:09 AM
What they need to do is bring back Revelation's simulation tutorial. It was awesome.

I applaud Rogue for the Bounty Hunters. They are definitely more annoying than any archetype in the AC games, because of their immunity to most cheeseable tactics.

For me, they're more annoying and frustrating than fun and engaging. These Bounty Hunters are literally immune to everything except the tool button, (I think) double tool kills using another archetype, and (somewhat broken) using them as human shields. Tool counters don't work either. I think that's just dumb and uninspiring. But then again, that's BF/RO's combat in a nutshell.

phoenix-force411
02-03-2015, 08:54 AM
It is definitely your own fault if they are ever summoned. You may never fight them at all throughout the game, and they are easy to summon as they are to not.

Fatal-Feit
02-03-2015, 09:52 AM
It certainly is my fault, but that's not stopping me from critiquing them. :p As dumb as it is, I like to study AC's combat. The strength and weaknesses, how they can improve, stuff like that.

These Bounty Hunters are just... Blah. They're not difficult because they're challenging, they're difficult because they're inconvenient. They're immune to just about everything. They feel like a parody of the Jagers.

But yeah, as you said, you may never have to fight them. That's why I don't count them in my difficulty ratings.