PDA

View Full Version : Modifying DGEN Planeset in 2.04

TheEngine88
07-26-2004, 05:43 AM
I haven't seen this on any of the boards, but if I missed it, forgive me.

I have found that if you modify the planesets in DGEN, even keeping in mind historical timelines, and axis/allies limitations, you cannot begin an offline career with the modified sets. When I hit the "generate" button, it shuts down the game instantly. I have modified the planesets as recently as the last official patch with no problems, so I'm fairly confident that I'm doing it right, with proper aircraft abbreviations and such.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? Thanks much.

"Pain Fades, Glory lasts forever, Chicks dig scars."

TheEngine88
07-26-2004, 05:43 AM
I haven't seen this on any of the boards, but if I missed it, forgive me.

I have found that if you modify the planesets in DGEN, even keeping in mind historical timelines, and axis/allies limitations, you cannot begin an offline career with the modified sets. When I hit the "generate" button, it shuts down the game instantly. I have modified the planesets as recently as the last official patch with no problems, so I'm fairly confident that I'm doing it right, with proper aircraft abbreviations and such.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? Thanks much.

GregSM
07-26-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi Engine,

If the game freezes or crashes to desktop upon trying to generate a campaign, be certain that the relevant "PlanesXxX.dat" file contains precisely correct nomenclature - "HurricaneMkIIc" works while "HurricaneMkIIC" will crash the game.

Cheers,

Greg

TheEngine88
07-26-2004, 07:56 AM
GregSM-

Thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct codes. I'll check again, but I've modified the planesets in the past with no problems.

I'm wondering if this isn't related to some tweaks to the Dgen that were included in the 2.04 patch.

GregSM
07-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Engine,

The trouble may be in your xxx.db file. Though error here shouldn't crash the game it can prevent campaigns from initiating. Check to see that you've not:

attempted to use models DGen doesn't recognise. At least on maps other than St. Petersburg (of which I'm unsure), none of the seaplanes can be used, while certain arcane designs, for instance the Gotha, can never be used;

removed units from the "[OOB]" section in which an "ace" (see "[Aces]" section at the foot of the file) is scheduled to appear. And beware that DGen doesn't recognize all available units. Appending a dedicated reconnaissance unit, for instance, will prevent the campaign from initiating (or would prior to the current version).

Additionally, the files "DGen", "DGen2", "DGen3", and "DgenError" residing in the IL2FB root directory are diagnostic files that might help identify the trouble.

If you wish, you can post your xxx.db and PlanesXxX.dat files here, and perhaps I will see what's wrong. Or try posting your query at SimHQ, addressed to "Starshoy". He's the campaign programmer and is usually quick to help.

Cheers,

Greg

TheEngine88
07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Greg,

Thanks very much; I'll atke a look at what you suggest. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my FB file.

I really appreciate your time on this.

GregSM
07-26-2004, 10:12 AM
You're welcome - and good luck!

Greg