PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst voice acted characters in AC?

Kiltraki
01-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Simple really. Who is your pick of best and worst voice acted characters in AC. Split your categories into best and worst protagonist, best and worst side character.

Best Protagonist
This was difficult because all of them are exceptionally acted, but I'd have to go with:
- Edward Kenway.

Worst Protagonist
- Easy pick for me.
- Aveline from Liberations. She wasn't terrible, but in no way does she hold up to any of the other protagonists.

Best side character
- This was another hard pick, because there are so many side characters that are brilliantly voice acted, but after a long think I have to go with:
- Haytham Kenway.

Worst side character
- This was a close one, between two characters. My final decision has come to
- Le Chasseur (AC Rogue).

I was going to say Gist, but in all honesty it was kind of noticeable that he wasn't actually trying to give a convincing performance. You could tell he was having a lot of fun with it (which is fine) and was purposely going over the top. Le Chasseur though, he was trying to sound convincing (which obviously is good) but it just didn't work. Fake accent, poor performance and poor delivery just made him the easy pick.

So there's my list. For the best. Special mentions go to:
- Arno, Connor, Ezio and Altair (from Revelations).
- Stede Bonnet, Malik, Bartolemeo, Yusuf, Achilles (from AC3), Adewale, Marqui de Sade and Napoleon. Obviously there are plenty more superbly acted characters, but these are the ones that sprung to mind.

For the worst.
- Altair from AC1. While I wouldn't say Shay was poorly performed (actually thought his emotion was really good), it's clear he was using a fake accent which detracted me from the experience a bit. These protags weren't bad, they just didn't hold up to the others imo.
- Average characters. - Liam, Monroe, James Cook
- Objectively poor - Achilles (from Rogue), Hope, Gist, Kesegowaase. Pretty much 90% of all characters from Liberations and Rogue. Not trying to hate on them, but it's unsurprising considering their budgets.

So who are your best and worst voice acted characters?

VestigialLlama4
01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Best Protagonist
Edit:Altair ibn L'Ahad (Philip Shahbaz version)
(In terms of voice acting using little material to create a distinguishable personality. Anvar had to suggest a complex character without backstory, sympathetic orphan flashbacks or even a love-interest. He had to suggest that Altair was cold, ruthless yet somehow able to redeem himself without some sentimental sop)

Worst Protagonist
Arno Dorian
(Generally the voice actor does nothing outside the material given to him, and the material being bad, means there's nothing to redeem him. I preferred Steve Piovesan's Shay who was given better material, though not by much, but does a lot more with it).

Best side character
Too many but a tie between Malik (Philip Shahbazz) and James Kidd/Mary Read -- Very similar roles in terms of relationship with the Player Character.

Worst side character
I didn't care much for Christopher Gist in ROGUE, I also don't like Mario Auditore much (though I like him in an "Ezio likes him so I should" kind-ofway), nor do I care for Cristina or her extended Retcon role in ACB. Mirabeau is a bore too(unlike the real guy who would have totally hit on Elise).

Special mentions go to:
- Edward, Connor, Ezio
- Adewale, Leonardo, Yusuf Tazim, Suleiman, Lorenzo de'Medici, Caterina Sforza, Blackbeard, Pierre Bellec.

For the worst.
- Arno.
- Average characters. - Abbas Sofian, Lucrezia Borgia, The extended assassins Connor hires in AC3 side-missions, Unity's Assassin Council, All the ROGUE Templars except Monro.

SixKeys
01-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Best side character
Too many but a tie between Malik (Philip Shahbazz) and James Kidd/Mary Read -- Very similar roles in terms of relationship with the Player Character.

Philip Shahbaz was Altaïr in AC1. Malik was voiced by Haaz Sleiman.

I don't want to do the side character/protagonist divide because many of the best voices don't fall into either category.

Best:

Warren Vidic
Al Mualim
Haytham
Ezio

Worst:

Connor
Sofia Sartor
Gist
Federico/Ugo (sorry, but he was a bit crap)
Geralt (from Liberation)

Megas_Doux
01-27-2015, 03:37 PM
My favorite in general:

Edward Kenway as my number one pick.
Haytham Kenway.
Ezio Auditore, despite his awful italian.
Warren Vidic.
Al Mualim.
Blackbeard.

Least liked:

Cesare Borgia/Francesco de Pazzi!!!!! I just cant stand their VA- same guy- loud mouthed characterization of yealing "GUAAAAAAARDS" everytime they are on screen.
Savonarola was pretty bad too.
The ENTIRE mohawk crew with the exception of Zio, the elder women being particularly cringe worthy on that matter. I don think they are proper actors, though.
Stephane Chapheau.
Gist.
Le Chasseur.

In regards of Connor he was not THAT bad as the examples above, however I dont like him, Haytham outshined 9/10 times. Oh! And I wish Arno´s material was better, I did like both Elise and him.

Best Crew in general: AC IV.
Worst crew in general: Rogue.
Most wasted potential: Unity.

PD Everytime I read ACR´s Altair is the best out of the two I die a little inside......

VestigialLlama4
01-27-2015, 04:32 PM
PD Everytime I read ACR´s Altair is the best out of the two I die a little inside......

Sorry, I thought Cas Anvar was the V/O for AC1. I thought Shahbaz did him in ACR. I actually liked Anvar in ACR as well.

Xstantin
01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Favorites: Edward, Haytham, Zio, Vidic
Least favorite: Patience Gibbs, swamp smugglers from Liberation, Cesare

Fatal-Feit
01-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Simple really. Who is your pick of best and worst voice acted characters in AC. Split your categories into best and worst protagonist, best and worst side character.

Best Protagonist
This was difficult because all of them are exceptionally acted, but I'd have to go with:
- Edward Kenway.

Worst Protagonist
- Easy pick for me.
- Aveline from Liberations. She wasn't terrible, but in no way does she hold up to any of the other protagonists.

Best side character
- This was another hard pick, because there are so many side characters that are brilliantly voice acted, but after a long think I have to go with:
- Haytham Kenway.

Worst side character
- This was a close one, between two characters. My final decision has come to
- Le Chasseur (AC Rogue).

I was going to say Gist, but in all honesty it was kind of noticeable that he wasn't actually trying to give a convincing performance. You could tell he was having a lot of fun with it (which is fine) and was purposely going over the top. Le Chasseur though, he was trying to sound convincing (which obviously is good) but it just didn't work. Fake accent, poor performance and poor delivery just made him the easy pick.

So there's my list. For the best. Special mentions go to:
- Arno, Connor, Ezio and Altair (from Revelations).
- Stede Bonnet, Malik, Bartolemeo, Yusuf, Achilles (from AC3), Adewale, Marqui de Sade and Napoleon. Obviously there are plenty more superbly acted characters, but these are the ones that sprung to mind.

For the worst.
- Altair from AC1. While I wouldn't say Shay was poorly performed (actually thought his emotion was really good), it's clear he was using a fake accent which detracted me from the experience a bit. These protags weren't bad, they just didn't hold up to the others imo.
- Average characters. - Liam, Monroe, James Cook
- Objectively poor - Achilles (from Rogue), Hope, Gist, Kesegowaase. Pretty much 90% of all characters from Liberations and Rogue. Not trying to hate on them, but it's unsurprising considering their budgets.

So who are your best and worst voice acted characters?

^ Damn, I was going to make a constructive post, but yours is just about everything I had. GG

Since we're including Liberation, I'd like to add Altair and Maria from Bloodlines for worst protagonist and side character. I've been playing it on my Android and the voice acting hasn't been a pleasant trip. (good game, tho)

Megas_Doux
01-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Sorry, I thought Cas Anvar was the V/O for AC1. I thought Shahbaz did him in ACR. I actually liked Anvar in ACR as well.

I did not write that directly at you, MANY tend to prefer Anvar over Shahbaz because of the lack of "arab" accent of the latter one.

SixKeys
01-27-2015, 05:11 PM
^ Damn, I was going to make a constructive post, but yours is just about everything I had. GG

Since we're including Liberation, I'd like to add Altair and Maria from Bloodlines for worst protagonist and side character. I've been playing it on my Android and the voice acting hasn't been a pleasant trip. (good game, tho)

That reminds me, Bloodlines Altaïr was terrible.

GunnerGalactico
01-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Favourites

Haytham
Altair (AC1)
Connor
Ziio
Edward
Al Mualim
Yusuf Tazim
Ezio
Malik

Least Favourites

Aveline
Patience Gibbs
Kanentokon (his voice gives me instant irritation)
La Chasseur
Cesare Borgia
Benjamin Church

ze_topazio
01-27-2015, 05:28 PM
I really like Charles Lee voice acting.

AC1 Altair is best Altair.

Altair's accent in Bloodlines is one of those cases of unintentional funny.

Namikaze_17
01-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Best Protagonist: Altaïr

Worst Protagonist: Aveline

Best side Character: Haytham Kenway/Al Mualim

Worse side Character: Patience Gibbs

Special Mentions: Connor, Edward, Desmond, Shay, Ezio, Arno, Adewale

GunnerGalactico
01-27-2015, 05:29 PM

I also kinda liked Charles Lee's voice.

[Special Mentions]Shay, ACR Ezio, DK Arno, Adewale

^^ This.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Best Protagonist: AC1 Altaïr/Connor

Worst Protagonist: Aveline

Best side Character: Haytham Kenway/Malik

Worse side Character: Patience Gibbs

Great voice acting: Altair, Ezio, Connor (at most points), Haytham, Charles Lee, Al Mualim, Edward, Shaun, Vidic, Cross, Bonnet

"Cant stand" voice acting: Aveline, Connor (at some points), Cesare, Altair in Bloodlines

Special Mentions: Rodrigo, Blackbeard, Desmond, William, Rebecca

SixKeys
01-27-2015, 06:59 PM

Yep, Charles Lee almost made it on my "best" list. AC3 had very good voice-acting in general, apart from the protagonist.

AC4's cast was kind of forgettable, TBH. Blackbeard wasn't as impressive as he should have been. Edward had a good enough actor, but he still left me cold. I can't recall a single moment where he impressed me with his acting.

TheArcaneEagle
01-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Yep, Charles Lee almost made it on my "best" list. AC3 had very good voice-acting in general, apart from the protagonist.

AC4's cast was kind of forgettable, TBH. Blackbeard wasn't as impressive as he should have been. Edward had a good enough actor, but he still left me cold. I can't recall a single moment where he impressed me with his acting.

What about this scene with Hornigold? (skip to 0:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh9yNiAO13Y

ACfan443
01-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Special Mentions: Connor, Edward, Desmond, Shay, ACR Ezio, DK Arno, Adewale

What was different about Ezio's and Arno's voice acting in those games than in the other ones they were featured in? All Ezios were voiced by the same person who maintained tonal parity across all three games, and the same applies to Arno in both Dead Kings and Unity.

I'd actually say Ezio was acted best in AC2 since Roger Craig Smith had to adapt his voice to sound like a teenager, a young man, and then a middle aged man, pulling off all three convincingly. Plus with the primitive tech they had back then mocap wasn't available or feasible, so props to the VA for delivering a nuanced voice performance whilst constrained in a recording booth.

SixKeys
01-27-2015, 08:47 PM
What about this scene with Hornigold? (skip to 0:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh9yNiAO13Y

Nope. It's a good character scene, but his voice does nothing for me. By which I mean it's unremarkable, the actor doesn't do anything special to elevate the role beyond thw writing. Roger Craig Smith was able to make even cheesy lines memorable with his gravitas and versatility (playing a 17-year-old, a middle-aged dude and an old man across three games). Haytham was a memorable character thanks to Adrian Hough's sophisticated, drily humorous performance. Matt Ryan as Edward simply sounds very... ordinary.

Shahkulu101
01-27-2015, 08:54 PM
He's supposed to be ordinary. His character is more grounded compared with the sophisticated Haytham and Casanova Ezio - more down to Earth.

Namikaze_17
01-27-2015, 09:29 PM
What was different about Ezio's and Arno's voice acting in those games than in the other ones they were featured in? All Ezios were voiced by the same person who maintained tonal parity across all three games, and the same applies to Arno in both Dead Kings and Unity.

I'd actually say Ezio was acted best in AC2 since Roger Craig Smith had to adapt his voice to sound like a teenager, a young man, and then a middle aged man, pulling off all three convincingly. Plus with the primitive tech they had back then mocap wasn't available or feasible, so props to the VA for delivering a nuanced voice performance whilst constrained in a recording booth.

Has nothing to do with Voice acting.

I just enjoyed their characters way better in Revelations & Dead Kings than AC2/ACB/Unity.

I meant honorable mentions for characters I like behind Altaïr.

I haven't graded VAing.

ACfan443
01-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Has nothing to do with Voice acting.

I just enjoyed their characters way better in Revelations & Dead Kings than AC2/ACB/Unity.

I meant honorable mentions for characters I like behind Altaïr.

I haven't graded VAing.

In a thread about voice acting? Ranking your favourites isn't the object of the thread, the OP categorised those characters according to how well they were voiced.

Namikaze_17
01-27-2015, 09:45 PM
In a thread about voice acting? Ranking your favourites isn't the object of the thread, the OP categorised those characters according to how well they were voiced.

Ah. I forgot about that. :rolleyes:

But my list still stands for the most part, I'll just edit the honorable mentions part.

EDIT: I can swear I made a thread like this once. :rolleyes:

wvstolzing
01-27-2015, 09:51 PM
I play either in German or in French. I find the French actors to be a bit better in general (incidentally the French version of Mass Effect is very good); German voiceovers seem to be limited to a handful of cartoon voices.

From the English that I've heard over YouTube and elsewhere --

I like Connor and Haytham quite a bit.
I find it deplorable that they let complete amateurs do the Kanien'keha voices.

Several actors appear to be followers of the school of 'taking a huge hunk of 'emotion', or 'character-trait', and applying it liberally on individual lines'. As a result you get one-note performances, and entirely unnatural cadences and accents.

Perhaps the reason why I think Connor and Haytham are quite good, is that they obviously *think* about the meaning of/intention behind their lines, and speak them out as real people in those circumstances might, and don't merely 'AAAAAACCCTTTT' them out.

Special mentions: Guards in Damascus in AC1, who speak Turkish -- they're amateur native speakers, and the lines they've been given to read are hilariously un-idiomatic. (Same with the street voices in ACR.)

RinoTheBouncer
01-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Ezio Auditore along with the original Altair (ACI), Edward Kenway and Connor were the best and the most remarkable.

JustPlainQuirky
01-28-2015, 03:50 AM
Arno is a bad character but Dan Jeaonette did a splendid performance.

Worst would be Aveline. Best Edward.

The_Kiwi_
01-28-2015, 05:47 AM
Best Protag
Shay

Worst Protag
Arno

Best Sidetag
Haytham

Worst Sidetag
Léon :rolleyes:

BATISTABUS
01-28-2015, 06:07 AM
The only one I'm sure about is worst protagonist, and that's by far Altair from AC1. He had a cool sounding voice, but the delivery on every line sounded incredibly fake and forced. The lack of accent made this stand out even more.

Also, I really didn't like the way Gist sounded. His voice didn't really match the way he acted. They gave him the voice of a character from a sitcom, and it always seemed like he was about to deliver a funny line. Even when they played him for laughs, he wasn't very funny. Wish they had gone a different direction with this character.

The rest of the voices in AC are good for the most part, aside from some issues with accents. I really wish they'd just hire actors that speak naturally with the accent they're going for. If they're going to skip the accent thing for non-English speaking characters (like they did in Unity), I'd much prefer they just go full sub instead of settling on a "neutral" British accent.

Edit: I'll post some stand-out performances I guess.

-Al Mualim
-Malik
-Vidic
-Ezio (Embers)
-Almost everyone in AC3/AC4. Those games had the best overall casts imo.

I-Like-Pie45
01-28-2015, 06:44 AM
worst voices:

acrogue
ac2 and acb GUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS VITORIA AGNI ASSASSINI!!!
cas "worse than satan" anvar
ac liberation

middle of the road
ac1
acu
acr
ac freedom cry

best
ac3
ac4

SixKeys
01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
He's supposed to be ordinary. His character is more grounded compared with the sophisticated Haytham and Casanova Ezio - more down to Earth.

Arno is ordinary too, but his voice actor made him more appealing to me.

VestigialLlama4
01-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Arno is ordinary too, but his voice actor made him more appealing to me.

Arno ISN'T ordinary. He's the son of nobility, raised in a palatial estate, lives his life amidst the 1% of France while most were starving, he also reads books by philosophers and poets. His voice actor makes him sound like a Royal Shakespeare Company version of a Swashbuckler. The only ordinary character in UNITY is Pierre Bellec.

Edward Kenway isn't merely ordinary, he's a nobody. No Assassin lineage, no secret fortune, nothing but what he earned and stole for himself.

dargor5
01-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Best protagonist this is hard every single assassin has something going on but I would say in order
Ezio
Connor
Arno
Edward
Altair

Best VA has to be the guy who did Ezio.

Best side character
Marques de Sade no doubt

Worst Side character
That child from Dead Kings dlc, not even remember his name

Worst protagonist
I would say Arno in a sense that out every other Assassin his accent doesnt represent were he is from (even though the VA is French descendant and can make a very good french accent)

SixKeys
01-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Arno ISN'T ordinary. He's the son of nobility, raised in a palatial estate, lives his life amidst the 1% of France while most were starving, he also reads books by philosophers and poets. His voice actor makes him sound like a Royal Shakespeare Company version of a Swashbuckler. The only ordinary character in UNITY is Pierre Bellec.

Edward Kenway isn't merely ordinary, he's a nobody. No Assassin lineage, no secret fortune, nothing but what he earned and stole for himself.

I was talking in terms of voice-acting. Arno doesn't have the exaggerated Italian-stallion thing going on like Ezio or the exaggerated pip-pip-tally-ho Britishness of Haytham. Arno and Edward are both characters that could be played by pretty much anyone without losing the essence of their character because there's nothing special about them.

VestigialLlama4
01-28-2015, 09:13 PM
I was talking in terms of voice-acting. Arno doesn't have the exaggerated Italian-stallion thing going on like Ezio or the exaggerated pip-pip-tally-ho Britishness of Haytham.

That's because they made the bone-headed decision to make the entire game sound like its voiced like a student film remake of a Royal Shakespeare Production.

Arno and Edward are both characters that could be played by pretty much anyone without losing the essence of their character because there's nothing special about them.

Huh. Did we play the same game. Edward Kenway is a Welsh pirate and voiced by an actual Welsh actor, in fact Darby McDevitt made Edward fully Welsh after finding out who they cast. So the essence you talk of was totally changed by who they cast.

Shahkulu101
01-28-2015, 09:15 PM
S'pose I'll do this. Can't sum up all the characters from every game at once so I'm going to compartmentalise and do one game by one:

AC1: Al Mualim and the creepy, eerily convincing hospital guy (forgot his name).

AC2: Ezio, Giovani, Leonardo, Rodrigo.

ACB: Machiavelli, Baron de Valois (hilariously cartoony), La Volpe

ACR: Ezio, Yusuf, Piri Reis, Sulieman, Ahmet, the main man Shahkulu.

AC3: Connor (voice acting was questionable at times, great at others and his character movements were distinctive and nuanced), Haytham, Charles Lee and pretty much all the Templar's (shoutout to Pitcairn - fellow Scotsman), Achilles, probably others I'm forgetting - AC3 had exceptional acting and cutscenes.

AC4: Edward, Adewale, Blackbeard, Vane, Mary Read, Anne Bonny, Lauren's Prins, Woodes Rogers. Really enjoyed AC4's cast as well.

ACU: Arno, De Sade (very good acting performance - one of the best in the series and Unity's most memorable character as a result), Napoleon.

Can't really think of the worst performances, prefer not to remember them.

SixKeys
01-28-2015, 09:39 PM
That's because they made the bone-headed decision to make the entire game sound like its voiced like a student film remake of a Royal Shakespeare Production.

Huh. Did we play the same game. Edward Kenway is a Welsh pirate and voiced by an actual Welsh actor, in fact Darby McDevitt made Edward fully Welsh after finding out who they cast. So the essence you talk of was totally changed by who they cast.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Edward is a more compelling character because he's Welsh?

Megas_Doux
01-28-2015, 10:18 PM
S'pose I'll do this. Can't sum up all the characters from every game at once so I'm going to compartmentalise and do one game by one:

Can't really think of the worst performances, prefer not to remember them.

I´m sorry, but I have to

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu0s21sBi51qct9oj.jpg

:p

He was not bad, however I found Torres, the Templard Grandmaster of he Caribbean rite- kinda dull and not matching the rest of the cast.

Shahkulu101
01-28-2015, 10:36 PM
To be fair, the characters that were loud and annoying - were supposed to be loud annoying. They were written that way, as pantomine villains - and they did their job rather well.

I have no problem with the acting, or the writing. For what they were intended to be, they were written rather well. My problem is with the choice to write them that way, but to be honest I think Yohalem realised most people viewed the series as totally ridiculous and convoluted and just embraced the silliness - can't really blame him. I just think the series has more potential than that.

Torres was a bit quiet but actually quite refreshing. It was nice to see a Templar that was cool, calm and collected - as opposed to the loud and conspicuous Cesare and Rodrigo. He also looks good compared to Haytham, who was prone to fits of rage and unnecessarily ruthless at times. There was nothing that made Torres seem a 'bad' guy, which was cool because even the morally gray Templar's have their pitfalls. Torres never really had any.

SixKeys
01-28-2015, 11:41 PM
To be fair, the characters that were loud and annoying - were supposed to be loud annoying. They were written that way, as pantomine villains - and they did their job rather well.

I have no problem with the acting, or the writing. For what they were intended to be, they were written rather well. My problem is with the choice to write them that way, but to be honest I think Yohalem realised most people viewed the series as totally ridiculous and convoluted and just embraced the silliness - can't really blame him. I just think the series has more potential than that.

I agree with this. I don't think the acting for those characters was bad, just the writing. (Although I'm one of the few who loves Cesare for his over-the-topness.)

Torres did nothing for me. He was totally bland as a character and his voice was equally unmemorable.

SixKeys
01-28-2015, 11:42 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu0s21sBi51qct9oj.jpg

P.S. This is my new favorite meme.