PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about AC Victory's Protagonist

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 05:10 PM
....Mainly in regards of how you expect him to be in comparison of what you want him to be.

Given AC Victory was most likely long in development far before Unity's official release, what kind of protagonist do you expect our protagonist [Samuel for now] to be like?

Secondly, what do you wish to see from Samuel?

---

some reminder images:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--dAHbL6AS--/uau2qi8cfqwdanmksr9y.jpg
http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Victory-3.png
http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Victory-2.jpg
http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/victory11.jpg

This is primarily just an AC Victory protagonist discussion thread. Expectations, desires, predictions and so on.

VestigialLlama4
01-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Another White Male A--hole by the looks of things.

Personally I don't see the point of creating large open worlds and making a single player character after GTA V came out. Multiple protagonits is the way to the future.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 05:17 PM
I personally just dislike his outfit. Reminds me too much of a black version of Edward's outfit. Not getting victorian london vibe from it at all.

As for his personality, I'm up for anything as long as it's not a retread.

And I hope he has a fabulous moostache

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ba/1e/61/ba1e614d35624a84331924b931a35976.jpg

wvstolzing
01-24-2015, 05:29 PM

It might be worse, still. Didn't one of the earlier 'leaks' say that he'd be a 'good businessman' of sorts?

Personally I don't see the point of creating large open worlds and making a single player character after GTA V came out. Multiple protagonits is the way to the future.

Yeah, and they pulled it off *so* well; way better than I expected. And it's an idea AC can easily adopt.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 05:38 PM
It is also possible Samuel Fay is the origin of the rumor "Spring-heeled Jack" as witnesses describe him as having the "ability to make extraordinary leaps" (as seen with his grappling hook) wearing " a black cloak" (as seen in screenshots) and an "appearance of a gentleman" (seen in screenshots).

The only issue with this theory is first-time sightings would not match the indicated time period as sightings occurred first in 1837 and screenshots indicate Victory takes place no earlier than 1878

full quote:

Spring-heeled Jack is an entity in English folklore of the Victorian era. The first claimed sighting of Spring-heeled Jack was in 1837.[1] Later sightings were reported all over Great Britain and were especially prevalent in suburban London, the Midlands and Scotland.[2]

There are many theories about the nature and identity of Spring-heeled Jack. This urban legend was very popular in its time, due to the tales of his bizarre appearance and ability to make extraordinary leaps, to the point that he became the topic of several works of fiction.

Spring-heeled Jack was described by people who claimed to have seen him as having a terrifying and frightful appearance, with diabolical physiognomy, clawed hands, and eyes that "resembled red balls of fire". One report claimed that, beneath a black cloak, he wore a helmet and a tight-fitting white garment like an oilskin. Many stories also mention a "Devil-like" aspect. Others said he was tall and thin, with the appearance of a gentleman. Several reports mention that he could breathe out blue and white flames and that he wore sharp metallic claws at his fingertips. At least two people claimed that he was able to speak comprehensible English.

Only explanation I can think of is grappling hook passed down many assassins in London and so people in London are used to seeing black cloaked figures swinging around briefly.

rprkjj
01-24-2015, 06:17 PM

His skin isn't shown in any of the photos. I also wouldn't consider any of the previous protagonists to be aholes. Maybe Edward at first, but it's definitely the exception rather then the rule.

As for what I would like to see from the protag, I would like a character that truly stood out. Arno felt so samey compared to Edward who had a unique, and mostly revenge/family tragedy free arc. Children, a nuclear family of some kind, etc. could add an interesting dynamic. Something else about Arno that reminded me of how much I liked Edward was Arno's drawn out start. It made me realize that I actually prefer jumping right into the best bits of the story. While I might not go as far as to say that we should start out as an assassin, getting the assassin robes quicker would be nice. I also agree that his attire is just meh. He stands out way to much in that leather, something simpler would be nice.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 06:34 PM
His skin isn't shown in any of the photos.

http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Victory-3.png

You can see his finger.

Not that I agree with Vest or anything

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 07:01 PM
I hate his outfit but I doubt its the final one, just like Arno's and Connor's pre-final build outfit. What I do like about this outfit though is the assassin insignia on the back. Those shoulder pads are soooo ugly though.

I want an assassin who has a good sense of humour. I loved Arno's sarcastic and cocky attitude at the beginning of Unity, but this just vanished about 4 sequences in and he became a boring and uninteresting protagonist.

I don't think it is Samuel Fey but if that leak was somehow true and he is a business owner, maybe it could be interesting in terms of how he becomes an assassin.
What I loved about Edward and AC 4 was how he became an assassin. It wasn't revenge, it wasn't redemption, it wasn't power, but it was because of his ignorance, pirate attitude and strive for money. When he knew he did wrong, he took the time to learn about the assassins and I thought that was really great.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
I loved Arno's sarcastic and cocky attitude at the beginning of Unity, but this just vanished about 4 sequences in and he became a boring and uninteresting protagonist.

I didn't like it. Rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

but if that leak was somehow true and he is a business owner, maybe it could be interesting in terms of how he becomes an assassin.

Some people are upset he is yet another born-in-high-society assassin but I think an actual business owning assassin could work well if executed properly

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Some people are upset he is yet another born-in-high-society assassin but I think an actual business owning assassin could work well if executed properly

Perhaps if he was born lower class, and built his way up (showing us the diverse class division within England at this time) could provide for a new angle on the protagonists attitude. For example, rather than being purely upper class, maybe he has experienced being lower class which gives him more dedication and acknowledgement for the aims of the assassins.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Perhaps if he was born lower class, and built his way up (showing us the diverse class division within England at this time) could provide for a new angle on the protagonists attitude. For example, rather than being purely upper class, maybe he has experienced being lower class which gives him more dedication and acknowledgement for the aims of the assassins.

That would be pretty cool. Like Hiroshi Sato from Korra who was an ordinary shoe polisher until he invented the Satomobile.

Or maybe Samuel inherited his father's business which regularly provided for the Assassins.

Though that may upset people who are tired of Assassins being obligated to aid the brotherhood rather than joining out of genuine interest in their philosophies.

.....then again

has ANY protag joined the brotherhood out of sheer interest in philosophies?

edit: Adewale maybe

EmptyCrustacean
01-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Please just make him an Assassin from the onset! No more origin stories!!!
I just want his motivation to be taking down Templars because they're bad! Is that so much to ask?!

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 07:13 PM
I just want his motivation to be taking down Templars because they're bad! Is that so much to ask?!

Go play the Ezio trilogy if you want 1 dimensional templars.

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Maybe Rogue was testing the Assassin turned Templar thing and Samuel is a Templar turned Assassin? xD

GunnerGalactico
01-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Maybe Rogue was testing the Assassin turned Templar thing and Samuel is a Templar turned Assassin? xD

I've always hoped that we see a character make that transition because the whole Assassins becoming Templars "thing" is quite common now.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 07:29 PM

https://41.media.tumblr.com/7baea4886acfb9b7ab34f58b380f3685/tumblr_ninjkifiY01sjbclto8_500.jpg

pls no

Altair1789
01-24-2015, 07:33 PM

I'd like that a lot. We need more templars traitors.

Either way I don't want Sam to be another attempt at Ezio. Not saying Edward and Arno were Ezio clones, because they weren't, but a charismatic assassin isn't what Ubi should be aiming for. I don't think they'll stop though, after Connor's treatment, they'll avoid an assassin who isn't joking most of the time

wvstolzing
01-24-2015, 07:38 PM
It wasn't revenge, it wasn't redemption, it wasn't power, but it was because of his ignorance, pirate attitude and strive for money. When he knew he did wrong, he took the time to learn about the assassins and I thought that was really great.

Yes; and he had an 'inner world', to which we were offered a small glimpse. His relationships with people around him were also meaningful, and well developed. I would've liked to know a bit more about Adé's frustrations with him, though.

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I hate his outfit but I doubt its the final one, just like Arno's and Connor's pre-final build outfit.

This.

---

I personally want that family man dynamic from Samuel. By that, it would add human side to him but also a dark side when he's out being an Assassin.

Heart warming family scenes like the Homestead missions would be great.

But since this is AC, some BS obviously happens and he loses them in some way.

Why? Because a tragedy NEEDS to happen. :rolleyes:

Another one I wouldn't mind for Sam is if he starts out as an orphaned factory worker but eventually escapes some way.

Coincidentally, he runs into a man with a white hood. :rolleyes:

Could be better, but you get it.

Fast forward and he's this hardened individual with a dark past.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/4f473dca404f3c0de3e92941ccba3505/tumblr_nh2nbc8vgS1u4cfhoo1_500.gif

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 08:08 PM
I personally want that family man dynamic from Samuel. By that, it would add human side to him but also a dark side when he's out being an Assassin.

This could be pretty cool actually. Perhaps we can play as a 30 - 40 year old who has a family and children? That would introduce an interesting dynamic and would expand the love vs duty thing that Ubisoft has going on.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 08:10 PM
This could be pretty cool actually. Perhaps we can play as a 30 - 40 year old who has a family and children? That would introduce an interesting dynamic and would expand the love vs duty thing that Ubisoft has going on.

too awesome

ubi wouldnt do it

VestigialLlama4
01-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Either way I don't want Sam to be another attempt at Ezio. Not saying Edward and Arno were Ezio clones, because they weren't, but a charismatic assassin isn't what Ubi should be aiming for. I don't think they'll stop though, after Connor's treatment, they'll avoid an assassin who isn't joking most of the time

Edward wasn't an Ezio clone, but Arno most definitely is, patently and obviously so.

GunnerGalactico
01-24-2015, 08:15 PM
too awesome

ubi wouldnt do it

At least it beats having the whole "I'm out for revenge" ploy any day.

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 08:15 PM
too awesome

ubi wouldnt do it

When that realization hits...

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-04/enhanced/webdr07/11/12/anigif_enhanced-26966-1397233693-15.gif

Kaschra
01-24-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm with Nami, an older family man would be a nice change for a protagonist.

How do you know he is an a-hole before you actually even know what he's like?

NO

Perk89
01-24-2015, 08:29 PM
I'd like them to step away from the recurring themes for a bit.

-Have his parents be a notable, worthwhile part of his character, and a part of the whole story. They can also actually live, while still contributing to the narrative
-Give him a family, make them prominent characters, a wife, a kid, etc etc. Yet to be explored storytelling. How does this guy balance the rough edges of his lifestyle with his family life?
-Do away with Monterrigionni for a while. Not every Assassin has to have a castle, or a town, or Homestead, or an island, or a large theatrical hub/mansion. If we absolutely must see the protagonist's home,then how about a small home that reflects the typical lower-middle class of most Victorian London era families.

Perk89
01-24-2015, 08:31 PM

This as well. Let's take a break from the "ZOMG MORAL GREYNESS" for a while. It's been played out. Let's see a guy do his job because it's his duty. No need to continue to bang this "NOBODY IS THE BAD GUY DUM DUM DUMMMMM!!!" plot device drum anymore. (Especially when it doesn't really make sense given what we know about the Templars)

Perk89
01-24-2015, 08:34 PM

This is a good idea. Definitely something we haven't seen explored yet.

dargor5
01-24-2015, 08:37 PM
What I expect:

- No more dead family members, please there must be another reason to be an Assassin than your family getting killed, it worked on Edward why not try it again?
- UNHOODED character!!! It's ridiculously obvious from a lore point of view a person in the 19th century wearing a hood, it's not stealthy anymore it looks very suspicious.
- A personality that goes with the character's background, so far I think Ubi has nailed it on everyone.
- BACKGROUND. No we don't need to play since childhood like on AC3 but a little background as to how the guy acquired such skills, not just "put on the hood, here's the hidden blade, now you are a fully fledged assassin" kinda BS

Edit: Forgot to add: No more eagle vision please, this assassins are not related to Desmond anymore so they can have other abilities than eagle vision, I know the real purpose of it is make some things easier but come on some creativity devs please

Xstantin
01-24-2015, 08:38 PM
The game dude will look different from the promo materials and fancy figurines, just like it happened with Arno/Edward/Pierce. The nice looking outfit will end up as some DLC/code thingy.

Probably some revenge/daddy issues/family ties will be there as well. He'll also end up managing London's businesses and all that.

Focus testing will say that mustaches are gross and for old people only, the protag will get some fabulous stubble instead

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 08:46 PM

-Have his parents be a notable, worthwhile part of his character, and a part of the whole story. They can also actually live, while still contributing to the narrative
-Give him a family, make them prominent characters, a wife, a kid, etc etc. Yet to be explored storytelling. How does this guy balance the rough edges of his lifestyle with his family life?
-Do away with Monterrigionni for a while. Not every Assassin has to have a castle, or a town, or Homestead, or an island, or a large theatrical hub/mansion. If we absolutely must see the protagonist's home,then how about a small home that reflects the typical lower-middle class of most Victorian London era families.

Ubisoft: A father who lives? Not in Assassin's Creed you dont!

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 09:07 PM
This as well. Let's take a break from the "ZOMG MORAL GREYNESS" for a while. It's been played out. Let's see a guy do his job because it's his duty. No need to continue to bang this "NOBODY IS THE BAD GUY DUM DUM DUMMMMM!!!" plot device drum anymore.

So basically back to...

Assassin: "I am good, you are evil. I am right about this conflict, you are not. You like red? Well too bad because blue is superior."

Templar: "I...I wanted power." *Insert information about next target*

Assassin: "Rest in peace."

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 09:10 PM
It would be cool if Samuel lived in the house that was once the Kenway Manor

No need to continue to bang this "NOBODY IS THE BAD GUY DUM DUM DUMMMMM!!!" plot device drum anymore.

That's not a plot device. It's called not having 1 dimensional mustache twirling villains with no realism to them whatsoever.

There are a ton of questionable but arguably justified people in society.

Not many Hitlers in comparison.

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
It would be cool if Samuel lived in the house that was once the Kenway Manor

I personally wouldn't mind him living in an apartment or something like that instead.

Wasn't the Kenway Manor in the rural outskirts? I would love to see it. Maybe easter egg?

We may see the Opera house as well, but it unfortunately suffered two fires between 1808 & 1856.

Luckily, it was still accessible.

That's not a plot device. It's called not having 1 dimensional mustache twirling villains with no realism to them whatsoever.

There are a ton of questionable but arguably justified people in society.

Not many Hitlers in comparison.

Thank you.

The typical good & evil thing gets tiring. :rolleyes:

EmptyCrustacean
01-24-2015, 09:19 PM

Templars have never been one dimensional and their motives can always be understood even if they're bat**** crazy. At least Templars in previosu games were well developed and made sense unlike Shay Patrick Cormac who sided with his worst enemy even what they did was worse.

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Templars have never been one dimensional and their motives can always be understood even if they're bat**** crazy. At least Templars in previosu games were well developed and made sense unlike Shay Patrick Cormac who sided with his worst enemy even what they did was worse.

Their motive in the Ezio trilogy was to clearly have dictatorial control over everything with the world choking at their feet.

That's not one-dimensional to you? :rolleyes:

And you basically contradict yourself.

You say Templars haven't been one-dimensional, yet you want things to revert back to a way that makes them look one-dimensional. :rolleyes:

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 09:29 PM

Love all these ideas.

Matknapers18
01-24-2015, 09:32 PM
I think it would be awesome, given the essence of the time period and Sam's occupation in business, if the protagonist was an inventor. I just think its a perfect match for the Victorian time period. Sam could invent his own weapons and gadgets for the brotherhood that he could possibly pitch and demonstrate to the high ranking assassins. That could make for some cool missions like retrieving resources for the inventions and testing them out.

Could also be interesting in contributing to the storyline. For example, although its already been distributed to assassin's across London, one of Sam's inventions is faulty/broken, and it could lead to the death of a major assassin. Or maybe one of his weapons gets into the hands of a templar. These could lead to some interesting plot predicaments. Just an idea.

So i basically want him to be Victorian batman. Detective, Inventor, awesome in combat. Except no dead parents.
Also, he needs a moustache. I can't deal with anymore stubble's.

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 09:37 PM
I think it would be awesome, given the essence of the time period and Sam's occupation in business, if the protagonist was an inventor.

This is an awesome idea :)

Maybe this time, the assassin's signature weapon (the grappling hook) is his own invention?

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't mind a fictional inventor of some sort.

That way, they don't have to worry about Historical accuracy and all that. ( Especially since a lot die in the later half of the era)

But I rather it be a acquaintance or close friend of Sam.

Journey93
01-24-2015, 10:07 PM
I just hope its not another womanizing, "charming" Ezio clone
Arno was already more than enough

I want a more mature Assassin that maybe has a family or something in that direction

dargor5
01-24-2015, 10:08 PM
I just hope its nto another womanizing, "charming" Ezio clone

I want a more mature Assassin that maybe has a family or something in that direction

I think Ubi made it pretty clear assassins cant have family and if they do they die

Journey93
01-24-2015, 10:12 PM
I think Ubi made it pretty clear assassins cant have family and if they do they die

true but I'm really sick of the classic revenge plots "you killed my father/mother whatever" is just annoying at this point

Matknapers18
01-24-2015, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't mind a fictional inventor of some sort.

That way, they don't have to worry about Historical accuracy and all that. ( Especially since a lot die in the later half of the era)

But I rather it be a acquaintance or close friend of Sam.

I thought about this, but it kinda seemed a little too similar to Da Vinci. The last thing I want is Ubisoft doing the same thing again and again.

Plus, I want Sam being a businessman to actually mean something and influence the storyline. Instead of 'Sam's a businessman'.
He shouldn't be made a business owner purely because it serves as background lore. Like how Arno had wealthy, noble upbringings but it didn't really impact the story of Arno's adulthood at all. It was added just because it made sense. Sam's occupation should link with his role in the brotherhood and it seems that invention of gadgets and weapons is one of the only ways to do this.

It would be sweet to have a really incredibly smart, articulated and educated assassin who has the intelligence to invent stuff. An intellect, who understands physics, advanced logic, biology and complicated mechanisms. Who decides his method of assassination with mathematical, meticulous precision and arranges every detail while calculating probability in his mind. Would be a nice touch if Sam stuttered probabilities to himself before making an important decision.

Kinda like this. Watch from 1:30- 2:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA

Or perhaps that is way to cliche. Maybe.

Shahkulu101
01-24-2015, 10:17 PM
The idea that he's a middle aged family man has caught on like wild fire.

Who suggested this first or was it in that fake press release?

Xstantin
01-24-2015, 10:17 PM
I just hope its not another womanizing, "charming" Ezio clone

So having any romantic lovey dovey subplot equals Ezio? I confuse. If anything Elise was Ezio in that relationship imo

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 10:20 PM

We are saying that it would be good if he was a middle aged family man

Shahkulu101
01-24-2015, 10:21 PM
We are saying that it would be good if he was a middle aged family man

I know, I think so too. I just want to know were the idea came from and why it's so popular.

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I know, I think so too. I just want to know were the idea came from and why it's so popular.

Probably ideas from the fake press thing as it said he was a business owner, so we thought he could be old and have a family aswell xD

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 10:35 PM

Wasn't it said in the leak information about Sam last year?

Or was it? I forgot where I read it. :confused:

I thought about this, but it kinda seemed a little too similar to Da Vinci. The last thing I want is Ubisoft doing the same thing again and again.

It wouldn't have to be Ezio/Da Vinci-esque.

Maybe they don't get along at first?

Maybe their interest are aligned? Plenty of things they could do to not make it not feel like that.

Plus, I want Sam being a businessman to actually mean something and influence the storyline. Instead of 'Sam's a businessman'.
He shouldn't be made a business owner purely because it serves as background lore. Like how Arno had wealthy, noble upbringings but it didn't really impact the story of Arno's adulthood at all. It was added just because it made sense. Sam's occupation should link with his role in the brotherhood and it seems that invention of gadgets and weapons is one of the only ways to do this.

I agree.

Having Sam's hypothetical background play into his story would be neat. ^__^

My complaint with Arno was how he was in the upper-class side of things but the revolution didn't affect him as much as he didn't really affect it.

Hopefully they remedy that with Sam.

It would be sweet to have a really incredibly smart, articulated and educated assassin who has the intelligence to invent stuff. An intellect, who understands physics, advanced logic, biology and complicated mechanisms. Who decides his method of assassination with mathematical, meticulous precision and arranges every detail while calculating probability in his mind. Would be a nice touch if Sam stuttered probabilities to himself before making an important decision.

Kinda like this. Watch from 1:30- 2:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA

Or perhaps that is way to cliche. Maybe.

Perhaps.

It would add a layer to the protagonist rather than simply killing people. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 10:40 PM
the middle-aged family man idea was suggested by forumers in an old thread.

it was not apart of the initial rumor

which means we'll probably be getting a young pretty boy with daddy issues again and irresistible snark/charm

though I did hear a rumor Samuel's personality would be similar to Haytham's based on reception

And that would totally destroy Haytham's uniqueness as a character so I hope that isn't true

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Well the press release thing mentioned that

"In the events of the ongoing Industrial Revolution, Assassin’s Creed V follows the story of Samuel Fey, as he enters the Assassin Order in a time of change and Templar rule. Fey is a successful and respectful entrepreneur, who works outside the corrupt law to guarantee the security of his own and others’ futures. Taking place during the closing years of the Industrial Revolution in Victorian London, players will explore all new locales as they uncover the truth behind the hidden ongoing rebellion."

I think this is all false though and completely made up.

I still want him to be a family man though xD

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 10:47 PM
inb4 Samuel isn't a day over 21. :rolleyes:

And don't even have a rockin 'stache :rolleyes:

2/10 no stache, no purchase

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I think it was an idea pushed by other forumers... :rolleyes:

But I do remember that press release summary about Sam.

emperior
01-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Add MORE story to the main character. Let us play through his training and his early years.
Don't do the same mistakes as in AC:U where Arno could do a leap of faith in the first memories of versailles and then he performs his canonic first at the Storming of the Bastille.
PLEASE prepare him for sequels or do like with Edward where a game was enough. Connor and Arno DEFINITELY needed more time.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 10:57 PM
And I actually DO like seeing the early years of protagonists. Seeing Connor go from conception, child, teen, to adult made his game feel like a lifelong journey rather than a simple one time gig.

But then again, we dont HAVE to see Samuel's childhood. Like others said, seeing him as a middle-aged man simply working in a business then going home to have dinner with his family is perfectly fine and could easily be just as impactful when done right.

emperior
01-24-2015, 11:00 PM
And I actually DO like seeing the early years of protagonists. Seeing Connor go from conception, child, teen, and adult made his game feel like a lifelong journey rather than a simple one time gig.

But then again, we dont HAVE to see his childhood. Like others said, seeing him as a middle-aged man simply working in a business then going home to have dinner with his family is perfectly fine and could easily be just as impactful when done right.

Seeing early years is awesome. Something Altair didn't get unfortunately.

I seriously hope we will see the protagonist when he was a child working as a chimney sweeper or miner.
A kid mining and discovering PoE would be cool. Then you build up onto it.
A self-made man would be surely enjoyable.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 11:01 PM
A self-made man would be surely enjoyable.

aaah yes

Namikaze_17
01-24-2015, 11:02 PM
But then again, we dont HAVE to see Samuel's childhood. Like others said, seeing him as a middle-aged man simply working in a business then going home to have dinner with his family is perfectly fine and could easily be just as impactful when done right.

Exactly.

The game could easily start out as another mission for Sam like Altaïr.

Difference is Sam accomplishes his goal and gets home on time. :rolleyes:

Something Altair didn't get unfortunately.

He didn't need it.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Hold on...

Spring-heeled Jack

Jack the ripper.

What if the protagonist is named Jack?

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-07/11/14/enhanced/webdr08/anigif_enhanced-8669-1405102434-18.gif

Matknapers18
01-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Maybe Sam could be trying to keep his whole 'assassin identity' secret from his wife and kids? that could be fun. Sort of like Giovanni.

It would be like a personal conflict between family and duty. There could be subtle hints like blood on his shirt when he's eating dinner with the family that cause them to become suspicious.
And then towards the end of the story, his secrets could be uncovered and the poop would hit the fan.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Ahhhhh these family man theories break my heart because I know as soon as Samuel turns around he's gonna be some young brash man with dead parents and no kids in sight. only the sight of stubble and charm/wit.

Matknapers18
01-24-2015, 11:14 PM
only the sight of stubble and charm/wit.

Don't forget charisma!

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 11:31 PM
I swear to god if he doesn't have a snazzy victorian london mustache....

http://cdn01.cdn.socialitelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/07/tumblr_mj9398Vtli1rha5cgo4_500.gif

Altair1789
01-24-2015, 11:46 PM
I think it would be cool if we started the game in the middle of an assassin mission. Maybe we start it with 2 other master assassins and try to save some kids or something, I don't know. I'm not sure about this "wife and kid" stuff, but maybe he adopts a kid or something. I just don't want him to be a Mr. Perfect or super charsimatic. I want him to be serious and dedicated to the assassin's cause. Or if we start out as a templar then become an assassin, that would be a nice change too.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Not too serious dark/brooding pls. I don't want to be playing as Assassin's Batman.

And I pray he doesn't get a kid sidekick. Leon was only in Dead Kings for 5 seconds and I already wanted to punch him in the face.

"ERMAGERD SAAVE PARIIIS"

m4r-k7
01-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Not too serious dark/brooding pls.

I want it to be dark. It would fit in with the dark, gloomy and foggy London.

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 12:02 AM
Started watching documentaries and reading databases to get possible ideas of Samuel's character.

*sees elephant man*

*pukes*

Namikaze_17
01-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Nope, dark and serious translate into boring somehow... :rolleyes:

rprkjj
01-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Started watching documentaries and reading databases to get possible ideas of Samuel's character.

*sees elephant man*

*pukes*

Have you seen the movie? It's depressing as hell.

On topic though, I'm not incredibly fond of him being a businessman. Like, how would that present itself in the story? Would there be scenes in which he's selling stuff to people, managing taxes, stock, etc. Seems odd to me.

Matknapers18
01-25-2015, 12:09 AM
I seem to remember in some Rogue trailer they said something like 'The darkest chapter in the AC franchise'.

I am yet to play Rogue so I don't know if this is true. Is it?

I watched most of the cutscene's and it all seems pretty light hearted. I mean, its hard to take it that seriously with a guy like Gist around.

Fatal-Feit
01-25-2015, 12:12 AM
A good character is more dependent on quality writing than character traits.

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 12:14 AM
On topic though, I'm not incredibly fond of him being a businessman. Like, how would that present itself in the story? Would there be scenes in which seeing stuff to people, managing taxes, stock, etc. Seems odd to me.

As a businessman, he may be exposed to shady dealings and/or the struggles of those who are trying to get by with little income.

A good character is more dependent on quality writing than character traits.

This is true.

Hopefully Victory's writer impresses.

Fatal-Feit
01-25-2015, 12:14 AM
I seem to remember in some Rogue trailer they said something like 'The darkest chapter in the AC franchise'.

I am yet to play Rogue so I don't know if this is true. Is it?

I would argue that 1 or 3 is darker.

wickywoowoo
01-25-2015, 12:19 AM
I would argue that 1 or 3 is darker.

I'd agree. Not because people find Altair or Connor boring but the stories were dark and more glum and the way they played off never brought much cheer. May be why I love those two characters the most, that's the style I personally prefer. Life is crap, may aswell play in a world where optimism is wasted energy too.

Annastasya1978
01-25-2015, 12:40 AM
I was thinking about this the other night actually. The past few games have had a focus on the sages, and Abstergo's search for them. What if this time, we are the sage?

It would certainly break away from the repeated avenging assassin storyline. The character could be haunted by the same visions as all the others, allowing us flashbacks to the First Civilisation, and Juno etc. Personally I'd like to see something a bit different like this. The inevitable conclusion to this protagonist's life is likely what would lead us into the sequel, and the body may finally give enough DNA for the Phoenix Project to meet success.

Altair1789
01-25-2015, 12:43 AM
I was thinking about this the other night actually. The past few games have had a focus on the sages, and Abstergo's search for them. What if this time, we are the sage?

It would certainly break away from the repeated avenging assassin storyline. The character could be haunted by the same visions as all the others, allowing us flashbacks to the First Civilisation, and Juno etc. Personally I'd like to see something a bit different like this. The inevitable conclusion to this protagonist's life is likely what would lead us into the sequel, and the body may finally give enough DNA for the Phoenix Project to meet success.

I would love this a lot. So many cool things they could make a protagonist, but they'll probably just stick to the same "charismatic kid going for revenge" cliche

arthur-peresb13
01-25-2015, 04:03 AM
I'd like that a lot. We need more templars traitors.

sorry buddy, but I kind miss the "charisma" in Arno's character

TO_M
01-25-2015, 04:20 AM

"Bad guys" does not instantly equal 1 dimensional. AC 1's templars can be seen as "bad guys" but I wouldn't consider them 1 dimensional.

I hope Victory will take a similar approach to AC1, playable assassin and templar wise.

VestigialLlama4
01-25-2015, 06:53 AM
How do you know he is an a-hole before you actually even know what he's like?

How do we know if this guy's name is Samuel, if he is an inventor, a family man or all other BS people have been piling on here before an official Press Release. It's safer to assume he's a White Male A--hole based on what we know of Victorian London - a deeply racist, classist, sexist and homophobic society that built its wealth by plundering other nations. Who knows maybe Ubisoft will surprise us by making him a British Jew, that might be nice and refreshing.

Kiltraki
01-25-2015, 09:55 AM
As for Victory's protagonist:
- Middle aged (30s/40s)
- Family man.
- Intelligent.
- Dedicated.

Think an older version of Napoleon from Unity. A protagonist like him would be badass. Intelligent, well spoken and articulate. We don't need another young arrogant charismatic punk.

As for Templars (seen some discussion throughout the thread so might as well address).
- They should be like AC1.

AC4's Templars were notably pretty morally grey, but the problem was I didn't have the same urge to kill them as I did with other games, and thus it made them less memorable. I never had that desire to take them out because in all honesty they really weren't terrible people. Torres seemed like a pretty decent guy, so I didn't really have an urge to kill him.

In the Ezio trilogy it's the exact opposite. They're pretty one dimensional. Almost all of them are pure asswipes and you have that real urge to take them down, and it makes them more memorable. Thing is though, they have very little depth. They seem pretty cartoony.

There needs to be a balance with the Templars. They need to be morally grey, but you still want to go out and actually kill them. It needs to establish that emotional impact.
With AC1's Templars, even though they were complete ****heads I still could see where they were coming from. Even though I completely disagreed with some of their reasons, at least they had some. First that comes to mind is that old guy that owns that hospital. Even though he comes off as pretty evil he truly thinks he is doing a good thing, and makes a pretty convincing case. Where else would his subjects go? Probably on the streets. He feeds them, clothes them and gives them shelter. He does give some good reasoning for his actions. Doesn't change the fact I wanted to kill the guy though.

We need Templars like that. Even though they may be pretty cruel, you can still see where they're coming from, and their justifications are actually pretty legitimate.
Ezio trilogy Templars were too cartoony and AC4 Templars were too meh.

AC3 Templars I found were mostly good but AC1 still has the best Templars of the series. The worst is by far Unity. Don't even know most of these people.

Namikaze_17
01-25-2015, 10:50 AM
As for Victory's protagonist:
- Middle aged (30s/40s)
- Family man.
- Intelligent.
- Dedicated.

Think an older version of Napoleon from Unity. A protagonist like him would be badass. Intelligent, well spoken and articulate. We don't need another young arrogant charismatic punk.

As for Templars (seen some discussion throughout the thread so might as well address).
- They should be like AC1.

AC4's Templars were notably pretty morally grey, but the problem was I didn't have the same urge to kill them as I did with other games, and thus it made them less memorable. I never had that desire to take them out because in all honesty they really weren't terrible people. Torres seemed like a pretty decent guy, so I didn't really have an urge to kill him.

In the Ezio trilogy it's the exact opposite. They're pretty one dimensional. Almost all of them are pure asswipes and you have that real urge to take them down, and it makes them more memorable. Thing is though, they have very little depth. They seem pretty cartoony.

There needs to be a balance with the Templars. They need to be morally grey, but you still want to go out and actually kill them. It needs to establish that emotional impact.
With AC1's Templars, even though they were complete ****heads I still could see where they were coming from. Even though I completely disagreed with some of their reasons, at least they had some. First that comes to mind is that old guy that owns that hospital. Even though he comes off as pretty evil he truly thinks he is doing a good thing, and makes a pretty convincing case. Where else would his subjects go? Probably on the streets. He feeds them, clothes them and gives them shelter. He does give some good reasoning for his actions. Doesn't change the fact I wanted to kill the guy though.

We need Templars like that. Even though they may be pretty cruel, you can still see where they're coming from, and their justifications are actually pretty legitimate.
Ezio trilogy Templars were too cartoony and AC4 Templars were too meh.

AC3 Templars I found were mostly good but AC1 still has the best Templars of the series. The worst is by far Unity. Don't even know most of these people.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clappi-UqCk.gif

Beautiful! I agree with every word. ^__^

AjinkyaParuleka
01-25-2015, 01:46 PM
16 year old ubi fans would be mad it isn't a womanizer then.

Democrito_71
01-25-2015, 03:15 PM

If Ubi would ever let us play as a sage, then I would love if the Sage is as manipulated as Roberts in ACIV and Germain in Unity who manipulates the Assassins for his own personal gain or if the Sage is haunted by both sides like Roberts(ACIV) and that the Sage have to fight against both orders & kill Targets on both sides. Being haunted by both Templars and Assassins would give a hole new dynamic in the AC-experience. :cool:

It would certainly break away from the repeated avenging assassin storyline. The character could be haunted by the same visions as all the others, allowing us flashbacks to the First Civilisation, and Juno etc. Personally I'd like to see something a bit different like this. The inevitable conclusion to this protagonist's life is likely what would lead us into the sequel, and the body may finally give enough DNA for the Phoenix Project to meet success.[/QOTE]

The Flashbacks of the first civ could serve as new Time Anomaly- missions where we visit First civ cities and see the memories of Aita and Juno.

dargor5
01-25-2015, 05:37 PM
The character's accent may be American hillbilly this time, continuing with what happened in Unity xD

GoldenBoy9999
01-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Nice thread, Quirky.

I like the family man idea and I'd like to see how the family struggles through what was hard times for some. I would also like the person to be intelligent. Arno was pretty intelligent, but it wasn't displayed in the best way. It would be pretty cool if he was a good suporter of his family and knew things about the time and how to make due with what he has.

For a home, I think it would be cool if he had an apartment. That would show how the times were rough back then. The FR was rough, but Arno just lived in a palace. :p

JustPlainQuirky
01-25-2015, 07:38 PM
If the family man thing ends up being true, I'd love for it to be similar to GTA V where Michael can return to his home to see his family having dinner or in their rooms sleeping/reading or something.