PDA

View Full Version : This is how I fight in ACU. how do YOU? (video included)

topeira1980
01-22-2015, 09:29 PM
I was kind of wondering how do ppl treat combat in ACU -

if they use a lot of smokes or stun bombs?
if they use pistols a lot?
if they run away a lot?
If they try their best to avoid combat or start fights intentionally?
how many enemies do you tend to be able to take out for sure and how many is too many?
how do u handle overwhelming odds?
etc etc

this is how I fight.
ppl have been claiming combat is too hard, or too easy, or not fast enough or boring etc etc. to me combat in Unity is a vast improvement and is far from boring.
i usually win against 4 enemies or less, though usually i can take on 5 or 6 as well. depends on the day. i usually dont use gear over level 4 since it makes things too easy (even the lvl4 sword in this video is a tad stronger than what i use normally) and i usually prefer healing using the healing skill because (A) it saves medicine for emergencies, and (B) the slower healing process seems to be more tense than "poof, and you're fine".
i also dont like using heavy or long weapons nor bombs or smokes in combat... as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6tldfMM89c&feature=youtu.be

also, frankly, it took some time putting this video up and i wanted to show the resut where it might be watched....

if you want to upload something of your own in how you play Unity - where it works, where its buggy, give tips.... whatever - go for it.
hopefully this thread will get to a page 2 and get a discussion going and maybe some vids and not die in 5 minutes :P

RzaRecta357
01-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Yeah that's how I do it too. I really don't find it that hard. I'll toss some stun and smoke bombs in just to fill the AC Initiate site thingies but that's about it.

Shahkulu101
01-22-2015, 09:54 PM
I spam smoke bombs and mash square till they're all dead, the combat system is flawed in that regard.

By the time I was fully upgraded, I was no longer scared of being detected. Which removes a lot of tension from the game. You could say I should just downgrade my gear, but having to handicap myself to keep the game balanced is a flaw in game design. It's the same in Far Cry, unlocking a silenced sniper makes you completely OP and negates all the creative takedown skills and the intense sneaking from the game but if the option is there then I'll take the easy way.

DemonLord4lf
01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
I spam smoke bombs and mash square till they're all dead, the combat system is flawed in that regard.

By the time I was fully upgraded, I was no longer scared of being detected. Which removes a lot of tension from the game. You could say I should just downgrade my gear, but having to handicap myself to keep the game balanced is a flaw in game design. It's the same in Far Cry, unlocking a silenced sniper makes you completely OP and negates all the creative takedown skills and the intense sneaking from the game but if the option is there then I'll take the easy way.

Which is your choice. No one forced you to make that choice. So you cant say its flawed when it was your choice to keep the silencer on. However, in Unity, dropping a smoke bomb doesn't really have the same effect in previous games. Yes, they all cough and whatnot, but when you try to kill them they deflect and act as if there was no smoke there.

Das Rouse
01-22-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm not used to dodging but it's something I should incorporate more in my style. How I fight depends on the number and how many diamonds they have. I can take on four no problem, but if I get more I'll throw in a smoke bomb and use my pistol or phantom blade to thin their numbers out. I do parry just need to dodge more.

I know when I did The Tournament Co-op mission myself, I used poison gas on 2 of the flag areas while I berserk blade one and then smoked+ quick shot the fourth. And then the final part of the mission, I lured out the whole room including the target, smoked them and used up all 8 of my phantom blades. Used a poison bomb and ran, (I took damage because I threw the PB and my feet). And repeated the procedure, except used my pistol the second time.

Normally, I try to avoid fights and use a stealth approach.

Shahkulu101
01-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Which is your choice. No one forced you to make that choice. So you cant say its flawed when it was your choice to keep the silencer on. However, in Unity, dropping a smoke bomb doesn't really have the same effect in previous games. Yes, they all cough and whatnot, but when you try to kill them they deflect and act as if there was no smoke there.

It was choice yes, but it's the optimal way to play the game and when the optimal way to play the game renders the stealth mechanics useless that's bad design for me. There are outposts and forts that are intricately designed, with all sorts of entrances through caves and the grappling hook. But most players - the majority of players always select the easy way - are going to miss the intricacies of the well designed levels, as there is a way to play the game that renders all other play-styles unnecessary. There is no point to Death from Above, basic knife takedowns and in general no point to the stealth mechanics if there exists an overpowered method to play. Yes there's technically a choice, but it's a bit like asking do you want to write a doctoral dissertation on mathematics or do you want to put 2 and 2 together. The same problems applies to the old AC games, when you can technically use stealth but there is no point as you can murder entire battalions with your eyes closed. I'm not ragging on FC4 by the way, it's my GOTY along with Wolfenstein.

The smoke bombs work fine for me, attacks are only occasionally blocked by the higher archetypes which makes sense to me. If Arno is completely immune to the effect of smoke bombs then surely it's logical for some enemies to be able to withstand the effects to at least the very small extent that they do.

Altair1789
01-22-2015, 10:42 PM
I just fight em. I haven't found myself throwing smoke bombs unless the guns are glitching and it's not telling me when rooftop riflemen are aiming. I'm one of the few that thinks the combat system is fun

wvstolzing
01-23-2015, 12:20 AM
I spam smoke bombs like crazy.

Fatal-Feit
01-23-2015, 12:23 AM
I play it like it's Dark Souls. Lots and lots of dodge rolls.

Tysodie
01-23-2015, 02:04 AM
I usually just drop a smoke bomb for easy combat, enemies usually die after 2-3 hits when you're maxed out. Playing without using smoke bombs however is fun, apart from constantly being shot at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSf0yeVD48I

^Not a single person was killed that day.

Alphacos007
01-23-2015, 02:06 AM
I'm more like a Rambo, I keep smashing the sword and parrying the incoming attacks :rolleyes:

topeira1980
01-23-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm more like a Rambo, I keep smashing the sword and parrying the incoming attacks :rolleyes:

i dont remember rambo smashing swords....

i do remember hulk smashing things thought....

so perhaps you are like the hulk.

do you guys feel like killing an enemy in 3 to 5 hits is too much?
i mean, not only i think that killing in less than that is too easy, but also even in games like shadow of mordor and batman it takes much longer to kill an enemy. find the length of fights in ACU great. they feel epic and tense even when its 1vs5 (if i am slightly under geared). i like it that way.

SixKeys
01-23-2015, 12:50 PM
I parry a lot. Most of the time I forget dodge even exists.

topeira1980
01-23-2015, 06:29 PM
I parry a lot. Most of the time I forget dodge even exists.

how do you evade bullets?

or you dont?....

dodges are risky against seekers and officers. their combos are fast.

p.s. - i think im supposed to love you, so:

http://www.writerscafe.org/uploads/stories/f37dee4497bc18d818f4dfe2d42eb18a.jpg

Jackdaw951
01-23-2015, 07:47 PM
I try to avoid it. But once the crap hits the fan, I want everything hostile to be dead. (Rocking in pain on the ground will not do.) If it's just a couple of guards, I'll just use swordplay with parries and strong attacks. If I'm about to be mobbed, I use smoke bombs. If I do it well, the crowd never gets a chance to do a thing other than get sliced and skewered. As soon as the smoke from one bomb starts to clear, I drop another. The flash from the Eagle of Suger provides a nice extra bit of frequent enemy incapacitation. Nearby shooters get quick-shot ASAP after the melee mob gets dead. (The smoke provides cover from ranged attacks too.) If they're snipers out of range of the gold pistol, I'll put a bulding between us, climb behind them and put their lights out.

If I expect a fight, I'll switch from my phantom coat to the medieval coat (both legendary). But this just makes something fairly easy even easier. It isn't really necessary.

topeira1980
01-25-2015, 09:19 AM
I try to avoid it. But once the crap hits the fan, I want everything hostile to be dead. (Rocking in pain on the ground will not do.) If it's just a couple of guards, I'll just use swordplay with parries and strong attacks. If I'm about to be mobbed, I use smoke bombs. If I do it well, the crowd never gets a chance to do a thing other than get sliced and skewered. As soon as the smoke from one bomb starts to clear, I drop another. The flash from the Eagle of Suger provides a nice extra bit of frequent enemy incapacitation. Nearby shooters get quick-shot ASAP after the melee mob gets dead. (The smoke provides cover from ranged attacks too.) If they're snipers out of range of the gold pistol, I'll put a bulding between us, climb behind them and put their lights out.

If I expect a fight, I'll switch from my phantom coat to the medieval coat (both legendary). But this just makes something fairly easy even easier. It isn't really necessary.

i know that if u smoke enemies who are unaware of you than you can do quick kills with the HB on them, but are you saying that if , while you quick kill them, you drop another bomb than they dont become aware of you and you can keep quick killing them??

Jackdaw951
01-25-2015, 04:12 PM
i know that if u smoke enemies who are unaware of you than you can do quick kills with the HB on them, but are you saying that if , while you quick kill them, you drop another bomb than they dont become aware of you and you can keep quick killing them??

They're very aware, mostly of their uncontrollable coughing and irritated, tearing eyes. :) I'm saying if I do the chain of bomb drops correctly, they never get a chance to do anything other than cough and shut their eyes. They're sitting ducks, getting picked off one by one--not with the HB, though. It's swordplay. Even the ones who try to put up a fight seldom get a lick in, although it does happen now and then. And as a side benefit, the snipers can't see me in the smoke cloud. Smoke bombs are also very cheap. I carry 13 of them, and I don't think I've ever run out since I upped their storage capacity. This is a way-overpowered mechanic. But I didn't design the game; I'm just playing it.

ManiacalSoup
01-26-2015, 03:32 PM
I like to sneak around and take out any snipers I find and then jump in the middle stabbing anything that moves until movement stops.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found it so much easier to steal something if the person is dead.

Occasionally I'll get bored and try to sneak through an entire area, killing everyone I can, disabling all bells, without setting off any alerts. But usually I just charge in and get all Stabby McStabbypants